Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaster Plates

Coaster Plates

I put this here, as it is a combination of flat and spinny, but I did most all of the work with hand tools, I'm loving my nice sharp planes!

Last week, my lovely wife made an off-hand comment that she needed to give something to the pianist at my daughter's choir group, said pianist seems to have gone and gotten herself married and my lovely wife wanted to give her and her new husband something. She called on me to make something, "no problem" was my answer, "what would you like?"

She showed me a picture in a catalog of these coasters with a space on the side for a snack. It seems that these have become quite popular here. I made one up, to the exact specs of the catalog, and we both realized that unless you were using a very small coffee cup, or a tiny Japanese style tea cup, these were on the small side, so I scaled things up a bit.

Now today it is Saturday, and my daughter's choir club meets on Saturday, and on Thursday evening, my wife says to me "Will you have those coasters done by Saturday?"

Time to kick it into gear. I got up nice and early on Friday, and expected to get right on the job...... no chance, one of our fridge units at the liquor shop, decided to spit the dummy and went South, so I had to coordinate with the refrigeration guy on getting if fixed, thankfully, it was only a relay that went poof, so it was not too expensive, and we got the fridge back online by about 3PM, which is the time I start to do deliveries

Last night around 10PM the Monster-In-Law comes downstairs, boy, that is at least an hour early for her, so at the first chance, I beat a hasty retreat and headed to the Dungeon around 10:30 PM. I worked until about 2:30 AM to get these done. I left them on the table downstairs and hit the sack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coaster_plates1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	45324 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coaster_plates2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	45325 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coaster_plates3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	45326 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coaster_plates4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	45327

I woke up this morning about 9AM and when I came down for breakfast, I asked my lovely wife if those were OK, she was very pleased with them, but was a bit surprised that I got them done so fast

I said "Well, on Thursday, you said you needed them for Saturday, and the fridge thing kind of killed my Friday morning, so I burnt the midnight oil last night and got them done for you"

She smiled and said "Oh, I did not mean -THIS- Saturday......."

Oh well, that is done, and now she wants some for the house too.......

The size is 14cm wide and 12cm deep by about 8mm thick (5 1/2" x 4 3/4" x 5/16")

The wood is some Blue Keyaki left over from my as yet unfinished Genkan bench

I made up a jig to do the undercut edges on the tablesaw, then I finished all the surfaces with my hand planes. The cut depression was done on the lathe, using my vacuum chuck (man that is sure slick!!).

I sanded only very lightly with a #600 scrubby pad after a coat of sanding sealer and then wipe on poly a few coats.

I'll be making some more, so I'll take some pictures of the process, if anyone is interested.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very cool Stu!

Did you use some sort of jig to register the postion of the plates when you put them on the vacuum chuck?

They look quite handy!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Very cool Stu!

Did you use some sort of jig to register the postion of the plates when you put them on the vacuum chuck?

They look quite handy!
    Thanks Brent!

No jig, I just eyeballed them

They are a handmade product, so there will be some variation between pieces, that is part of the charm of handmade work............. and that is my story, I'm sticking too it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very slick, Stu. I like the bottom edge chamfer, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn.

The bottom edge chamfer really lifts the plate and make it look a lot lighter, the angle ended up being 27 degrees, don't ask me why, that just looked right to us 45 was way too steep, and 30 was also off a bit, so I just did what I thought looked right and ran with it. I made a jig to cut the angle on the tablesaw, as I don't happen to have a 27 degree bit for the router table
    One pass on the tablesaw, and then I cleaned up the chamfer with my LV low angle block plane, one or two swipes and it was smooth! Worked very well on the end grain too, sweet tool!
    William Arthur Ward

I am beginning to appreciate the capabilities of a suitably sharp plane....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

The coasters look very nice. This is the first time I have ever seen one with a space for a snack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    The coasters look very nice. This is the first time I have ever seen one with a space for a snack.
    Me too Mohammad, it may very well be a cultural thing, most of the time, if you are having Japanese tea the host/hostess will serve a small bit of sweet to offset the very bitter green tea. There is not a bowl full of the sweets, just a little bit is all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tea-and-sweets.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	45328 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green_tea_sweets2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	45329 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green_tea_sweets3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	45330

Like that, so for the more casual circumstance, I guess these coaster plates have evolved

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Those are great. I have seen plastic versions with a hole for your thumb to come through from underneath whilst holding them. I guess the idea is to tote them around while standing about talking on the veranda or something like that, eh? Yours are way classier than those that I saw in passing. Very smooth. Kinda organic and flowing. Really like them.

P.s. "spit the dummy"; good one. You don't hear that often in this hemisphere ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

"Spit the dummy" is a new one to me.
    Those are really cool Stu. If you make them a bit larger they might be nice for a childs plate as well.
    Faith, Hope & Charity