cutting board

Frank Fusco

My daughter needs a cutting board for her new place.
So, of course, Daddy made her one. We are going to visit later today, I'll give to her then.
It is made from maple and walnut. Is 10"X15 1/2"X1 1/4" thick. It is fairly heavy so should set solid on the counter when in use.
First one I have made since getting my jointer. Old way was not ideal.
Finished with mineral oil only.
Nice to be getting back in shop after the winter then many civic and political demands taking my time. I need this 'cave' time to stay sane. Unfortunately, not working. ;)

Attachments

• cutting board.jpg
    cutting board.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 54
Very nice, Frank. Hard to beat the maple/walnut combo, and that's a great thickness, too. At 1 1/4", I'll bet it's got a nice heft without being too much to move and store in the kitchen. :thumb:

Looking good Frank, and I know what you mean by cave time. I'm itching to get in the shop, but too much work and too many spring time outdoor things needing doing that is keeping me from it...

Maybe if I claim my sanity is at risk I could get out of some of the outdoor projects?

Looks good Frank.:thumb: How much mineral oil do you use on these? Just a wipe or dunking?

I let mine soak in longer than the other guys who've answered. I put the board in a shallow pan and slather the oil on both sides, leaving it partially submerged in the oil. Then I let it soak in the oil for at least a day -- often more -- turning the board over periodically, and also adding more oil if necessary. After I'm done with the soak, I wipe off the excess with paper or terrycloth towels. Probably overkill but I like the results, so I keep doing it that way.