Glue question

Bart Leetch

I am planing on turning an 12"-18" lazy susan for our 4' wide eight sided table. I didn't find time yet to glue it up out of flat stock. Will super glue work ok for this. I have thick , medium & thin glue. This would allow me to glue up & turn it today.

I plan to make 2 pieces for this project a bottom & a top & cut a ring off the bottom that will be glued to the top to conceal the bottom. This ring will be glued to the bottom of the top piece. I also assume that the ring will need to be glued to the top with the grain running the same as the top for expansion & contraction.

No

Superglue does not have good long-term holding strength. It is great for instant filling and finishing (as well as first aid), but I know one woodworker who uses it to put templates and guides on his high-end furniture, then breaks the template off by banging the template. The shock cleanly breaks the superglue, and he touches up the workpiece with some fine sanding to remove the glue residue.

No

Superglue does not have good long-term holding strength. It is great for instant filling and finishing (as well as first aid), but I know one woodworker who uses it to put templates and guides on his high-end furniture, then breaks the template off by banging the template. The shock cleanly breaks the superglue, and he touches up the workpiece with some fine sanding to remove the glue residue.

Hey Charlie, thats a great idea..:thumb:

You could glue it with yellow glue, leaving a couple 'dry' spots. Put the super glue (and accellerator in the dry spots.

The super glue will hold while you're working on the piece, and by the time you're done, the yellow glue will have achieved its bond, too.

I've used that trick a couple times when it "absolutely, positively had to be done today."

Jim, I haven't tried it, but I have heard that you can apply regular wood glue over an entire surface, then put a bead of superglue down the center of the joint, and the superglue will hold until the regular glue sets. Since superglue works on medical wounds, it obviously works in wet environments, and apparently will work in the "wet" environment of the regular glue

Jim, I haven't tried it, but I have heard that you can apply regular wood glue over an entire surface, then put a bead of superglue down the center of the joint, and the superglue will hold until the regular glue sets. Since superglue works on medical wounds, it obviously works in wet environments, and apparently will work in the "wet" environment of the regular glue

Haven't tried that (yet), Charlie. Next time...

I was refinishing a desktop... new work not yet delivered, but I was fighting how the glue seams were sunken; I had to remove all the finish and sand the whole top a few thousandths lower so the glue lines wouldn't show and couldn't be felt.

Why were these lines a problem? I don't usually have an issue. Then I remembered. I had sanded the top soon after I removed the clamps from the glue-up. The wood in the vicinity of the joints was swollen from the moisture of the glue. 24 hours later the glue was strong, but the joint was still swollen when it was sanded flush. The joints later shrank slightly below the surface as the moisture from the glue left. They could be felt and seen when the top was finished.

Moral of the story, rushing a project may spoil it. The Crazy glue may hold a regular glue joint until it dries, but it won't solve the moisture problem in the vicinity of the joint.