Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concrete Counter Top Tips?

Concrete Counter Top Tips?

Does anyone have any good 'how-to' links on making concrete counter tops?

Getting ready to do some serious work on the house and Need to add a utility sink in 'my' bathroom, and just thought that a concrete counter top would be ideal. Just a small one, about 45"x 24".

Thanks!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I'm thinking of replacing my kitchen coutnertops this fall...maybe I can learn something too.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    a google search turns up all kinds of info. heres one link
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Yeah, found a lot of different sites on google, was just hoping someone here had some first hand knowledge.

Seems to be different methods for what materials to use, i.e. rebar, mesh, diamond mesh, additives, etc..

Also specifically interested in sealing the top. I've seem some people use penetrating sealers, other use epoxy on the top...

Thanks!
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I saw one of the "Rock Solid" shows where the guys made them. They used melamine for the form. About I all remember...but might check diy network

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I'm thinking it's really not that complex at this point. At anyrate, the size I'm making will be pretty cheap to make. The bigger problem is if it's a failure getting rid of it!

I think I'll get the materials tonight and start building the cabinet and the concrete molds...

Why concrete?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Why concrete?
    1) Cheap
    2) Supposedly easy to DIY
    3) Actually looks pretty nice
    4) Durable

Concrete counter tops have also become kind of trendy and have been hyped on a lot of the DIY shows. Since this counter is going to be kind of a weird shape, Just figured we'd give it a shot.

Basically, my 'bathroom' is kind of weird thing the previous owners added on to the house. Not much reason for it to be where it is, and we don't really use it much. Since we don't have any kind of a utility sink anywhere, we thought we would put one in there. Figured might as well make the room look as nice as we can, while adding in some extra functionality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bathroomcabinet.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	45392

Brent here at school most things are blocked, try,

http://www.diynetwork.com/

probably under bathrooms or kitchens, think the wife and I saw it a couple of months ago on one of the programs she watches.

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...top/index.html I googled this but can't see what is in it!

Brent, I googled diy concrete countertops and a ton of stuff came up, check it out.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 05-10-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The one thing I remember from watching a show on TV about it was making sure to vibrate the concrete to be sure to get all the air pockets out of it...especially those that might be up against the sides. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3