Some Mother's Day Pens

Jim Mattheiss

Hello All:

I turned pens for all of the Mom's in my life.

The left hand pen and tray went to my Mom. It's a Woodcraft Executive Pen in Purpleheart. It's a twin to a pen I made for my daughter.

The center pen went to LOML. Its' a Woodcraft Slimline in a red acrylic. We bought the makings for LOML's pen together some time ago and she was going to make it herself. She has not had the time/interest so I made it for her (with her blessing).

The right hand pen went to my Mother in Law. It's a Woodcraft Executive Pen in Dunnowood (I dunno where I got the blank and dunno what type of wood it was).

I made the pen trays out of some interesting scrap I had laying around. I was tight on time so I didn't quite sand out the burn marks at the end of the grooves (LOL).

I'm in flight on 2 Father's Day pens. I'm 1 for 3 on turning some spalted pen blanks. If I don't have a success soon they are not going to be made from the same wood.

Cheers

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF5945 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF5945 (Medium).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 41
Jim, very nice pens and trays!!! I am sure all who got them appreciated them!! I also made a pen for my mom. Made from the sounding board of a scrapped baby grand piano. My mom plays piano and organ so she was excited to finally have a baby grand!
On the spalted wood, what I do for my students and myself is turn the pen blank round, then take it off of the mandrel and cover it with thin CA glue. Let dry or spray with activator, no problem, holds them together, oh I use a skew generally after this process for some reason, but think it also makes the pen more durable for its useful life as the material isn't as fragile! Hope this helps, good luck.

Groan at all the Left Handed jokes . . .

Jonathan - thanks for the tip on turning/preparing spalted wood. I googled wood stabilization but it seems like a project in and of itself . . .

Everyone was pleased upon receipt of the pens and trays.

Cheers

Jim