I just got an aircraft carrier! Update: mobile base finished

Alan Bienlein

Well saia motor freight showed up tonight. I never new that grizzly used something other than cardboard and styrofoam for packaging their machinery. He unloaded this huge wooden box and put it at the entrance of my shop.
Luke was inspecting the crates for me.
5-10-2010 001.JPG
I opened the wooden crate and the first thing that came to mind was that they mistakenly shipped me the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan.:eek: This thing is huge compared to what I'm use to.
5-10-2010 002.JPG5-10-2010 003.JPG
I cleaned the cosmoline off with brake clean, waxed the cast iron surfaces and loml helped lift it onto the base. What a women!:thumb:
5-10-2010 004.JPG
Now I have to run a 220 circuit for it and get a plug.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Tool Alan, you one guy i know will put that puppy through its paces.:D Has that machine got the mag starter in it?

Yes it does Rob. It's that box on the right side of the baseunder the infeed table. This thing is sweet. The adjustment to move the fence back and forth is so smooth!:D

Alan do me a favor and post a shot from above of your fence please? wanna see how its attached to the sliding adjuster. Have a feeling its the same as mine and then would like to know how much play you got in yours.

I still think mine has issues with the screws on the linkage arm.:(

I'll get a pic for you tomorrow and post it Rob. I've locked the shop up for the night. Are you talking about the crank that move the fence back and forth or the adjustment to tilt the fence?

Excellent. Congrats. I put a strip of UHMW tape on the bottom of the fence "foot" to keep it from scratching the outfeed table. Your fence may be different. I put some on the edge of the pork chop too to keep from banging the powder-coat off of it. You can see from the pic I didn't hear about this idea till it had been banged around some ;-)

Attachments

• G0490X fence foot 002.jpg
    G0490X fence foot 002.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 20
  • pork-chop-uhmw.jpg
    pork-chop-uhmw.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
good fer yu alan and i saw your daughter hiddun behind it:) but she was hidden pretty good:) long beds are definitely nice to have..you will wonder why you never got one sooner

Congrats on the new aircraft carr....... 'er....jointer. ;)
That is a dandy, I'm sure you will love it.
The way it was packed reminds me of when my lathe arrived. We slid it, still packed, off the back of the big truck onto my pick-up bed. I drove around back to the door of the shop and unpacked and disassembled from the truck. Carrying individual pieces into the shop was the only way I could handle it.
And, speaking of cosmoline, if something doesn't work right, check for cosmo gunk before panicking. They do use plenty of the stuff. It's an annoyance but better than the alternative, rust.

Well I made the mobile base for it today and wired it up. This thing is SWEET!! It had a slight vibration so I readjusted the tension on the belts and it went away. The belts were a hair to tight. It's much quieter than my 6" was with the cyclone hooked up.
5-15-2010 001.JPG5-15-2010 002.JPG

Last edited: