Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mountain lion

mountain lion

Some might remember my project of Tigger http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ghlight=tigger
    I just had to try a realistic version so I carved a mountain lion, it's about 4 foot long and about 24" high. I know the snarl isn't accurate , but then I have never had a mountain lion snarl at me and I don't know if I would really want one too either. The colors could have been more realistic also. But here it is anyway, hope you enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1128+1.jpg   IMG_0001+1.jpg  

that looks pretty sharp virgil, what kind of wood is it made out of? and as for the snarl well i am in the same boat,wouldnt want to be close enough to one snarling to get the right "mental picture"
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Virgil that is way cool!!!!! I am envious!!!! I have this ability to always pick up a piece of wood and open my pocket knife and cut myself!!! I am always amazed at whittlers, carvers and such. I don't know about the snarl or the color, but I knew what it was and man that is so neat!!! Great job!! So, how long did it take to make??

Virgil, somehow I missed Tigger, man that is neat also!!!! Chainsaw?!! Talent my friend, pure unadulterated talent!!! The damage I do to myself trying to whittle with a pocket knife, don't think I will attempt the chainsaw art. (even though with a dull chain I do make good curves!!!). Very nice work, I am envious!!
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 05-11-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Tigger addition
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

That is defiantly way cool

The folds you made in the skin on his face make the snarl look really realistic. Man I wish I had the talent to carve something recognizable
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Way wild!
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Realistic enough that if someone happened upon it at night, there might be some dirty shorts Nice job

Thank you for the compliments, it started out as a pine log as well as tigger did. I am into regular woodworking more than this kind of art form but every once in awhile I have to break free and go for the gusto. Most of the professionals have thousands tied up into their saws, bars and chains. I can't do that. This was done with an oridinary chainsaw. I roughed it out with a large Dolmar then switched to a de limbing echo after that I went with more traditonal tools. It took 15 hours just woodburning the fur in. (boring) LOL then followed up with airbrush and transparent paints. Here is a shot of it in the carving and woodburning stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1109.jpg   IMG_1114.jpg  

Well Virgil, you just left me mouth open. Making a big carving is one of the things I want to do some day.
    It is really impressive, and as far as the snarl is concerned I have no complaints about it, specially if you had to figure it out. If I had to do it, I would have to look for pictures in order to be able to get half as right as you did.

BTW How long did it take you to carve it?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I want one, if you could add bigger teeth [2] it would be a sabre-tooth lion

Amazing, the talent we have here just keeps on amazing me. Tom said it i think there would be some pretty dirty shorts if one came across this boy in the yard in the evening.

Well done
    cheers