Thread: Need to Pay Closer Attention

Bloomington MN USA

Need to Pay Closer Attention

I was building a very simple form for some concreat that will be the base for a lamp post in my Son's front yard. Went out to the back shed and found some material to make the box. Basicaly it was 15x15x15 . I had to add a couple pieces of 1x2" to join the pieces to gather. I was running all sections past my rip fence to give a nice edge to screed the cement off the top edge. I looked up for a split second on the third piece ( there were four. Had only about 1" left to cut when all of a sudden the piece was spun out of my grasp and smashed into my thumb. No cutts or blood but I am finding out to day how important the thumb on my right hand is. I was just very very lucky that it was only a sprain. I have been doing this type of work for more years than I care to think about. All the more reason to pay attention and not to take things for granet. I will have that in my mind from now on when operating all of my equiptment. Hope you all will pay better attention than I did.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Glad it wasn't worse Ron.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

GTA Ontario Canada
    Phew read that fast when i saw the headlines. Glad it wasnt worse Ron.

Thanks for posting this cause i find it certainly keeps me alert when i am in the shop.

Santa Claus, In
    Glad is was only a wake up call.

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Got lucky, eh?...this time...
    Jim D.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I always thought that it only happened to others until the same thing happened to me 3 or 4 months ago. It is certainly a wake up call. Glad you are OK.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

North West Indiana
    Know what you mean Ron, have a cut healing on my left pointer finger above the hand from a bandsaw incident. Cut enough to gross out my wife when I would bend the finger and make the cut smile!!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Glad you only got a wake up call and nothing more serious.... I'm terrified of my saws... I don't take my eyes off the blade and my fingers when they are anywhere close...
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.