Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese cherry tree ( Sakura )

Chinese cherry tree ( Sakura )

Has any one had any experience turning this type of wood? I just scored a bunch of it from a 100 yr old tree. Is it any good?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I believe Canadian law prohibits ownership of that kind of wood.
    Send here so you don't get in trouble.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Sakura is Japanese for the ornamental cherry you are talking about, I've turned a lot of it, and it is maybe my favorite wood to turn
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

If you scored it, it has to be ok. I turned a piece I got from a gentleman in Denver. It is as nice to turn as any other cherry. Really nice stuff.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chuck up a pc and turn it and finish it - hopefully like Sturat said its great and you have a heck of a pile of it ......LOL enjoy
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Thanks guys. So Stu is there anything special to take care with in regards to turning this? Is it better to turn wet or let it dry out first? How long does it take to dry out?

The ad was for free fire wood and I unfortunatly missed the first big tree. When I informed the fellow that I was with a turning guild he was excited to hear that it was going to be used to make something instead of burnt and asked if i would sell something I made as his dad had lived with these trees in his yard for 45 yrs. I told him if i could get the entire lot I would be happy to make something for his dad as it was a fair trade. The wood for something for his dad. Any suggestions on what to turn that will best display the grain and colour of the wood?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Drew, the most important thing is to get the pith out of the logs, that is where your splits come from.

Do a search here on how to cut up logs for making bowls, there have been a few threads on the process.

Cover the end grain with some kind of sealer.

I would rough turn as many as you can right away, turn the walls of the bowls to 10% of the bowl's diameter, so a 10" bowl gets 1" thick walls, if that makes sense. Then if you are in a hurry, you can dunk the rough turned bowls into DNA and soak for 24 hours, then wrap them up in brown paper or several layers of newsprint, let sit for a month or so, they should be ready to finish turn. If you have a lot and time is not a big deal, just rough turn them, and then warp in paper, and let sit for six months.

Turn a fairly large bowl, something that is not too deep, say 10" in diameter and 4" deep, would really show the wood nicely, he will love it, make sure you date and sign it too.

Cheers!

PS............ what......... no pictures?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sorry about the pics but i had to go and pic up the rest of the wood today. Here is what I was able to get. It isn't all good but there are some good chunks that I will get some things from. Actually there is lots of small things like garden dibblers and crochet hooks and mushrooms... to make. I have to spend a little time sharpening the old chain saw after lunch. Thanks for the pointers Stu.

Yea Yea I am getting older and forgot to post the pics. Here they are one pile on the ground and one in the trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Japanese cherry tree 015.JPG   Japanese cherry tree 017.JPG  

That is a lot of wood Drew

Get that chainsaw going, and get the pith out

Those cherry logs will slit like crazy if you just leave them, cut them to length and then cut the pith out, seal the end grain, and stack. Then get busy with the bandsaw and cut them roundish, then get turning on that lathe of yours!

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward