A Little Flatwork

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I had a lady contact me a while back asking about a paper towel holder I show on my website. It's one I made for our house not too long after I got started back into woodworking. She wanted one similar to mine, with cherry as the primary wood and strips of other woods as accents. After I did a few SketchUp mockups for her, and this is what she ultimately decided on:

Dayna Novak Paper Towel Holder 01 - 800.jpg Dayna Novak Paper Towel Holder 03 - 800.jpg Dayna Novak Paper Towel Holder 02 - 800.jpg Dayna Novak Paper Towel Holder 04 - 800.jpg

Nothing fancy...just a long cutting board cut into three pieces and butt-jointed with pocket screws. It's cherry with maple, walnut, and purpleheart accents, finished with wipe-on oil/varnish blend, buffed, then waxed with Renaissance wax. The towel rod is spring-loaded. I don't recall where I got it from...I bought a half dozen a few years ago from some craft material supply place I found on the web. Anyway, it's not fine or fancy woodworking, but she's happy with it, and thus so am I.

Comments and criticisms are all welcome. :wave:

You are too modest. I have liked those things sine I saw them on your site. Very nice version. I'm sure she'll enjoy it.