Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood Edgebanding

Plywood Edgebanding

I'm going to be throwing together a bunch of plywood cabinets soon and I'd like to edge band them. Two questions:

Does anyone have a good source for edgebanding? The closest WW store to me is 45 minutes away so I'll probably order some online. I'm assuming I won't find this at the borgs but maybe I'm wrong.

What is the quickest/easiest way to trim the edges? I'm not opposed to spending a few bucks on a tool that will help me get it done quickly. Jig ideas will be considered as well. Would this be a good excuse to get a Bosch Colt?

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Rob,
    You might check out HD, some stores do carry edgebanding, but not lots of variety of species. There is a tool you can buy for about $10 that will trim the edges. A colt would work fine, but you will need to provide some support to keep it level.

I have found Birch edge banding at the Borg and even local Hardware stores. Just used some last night on the last of the shelves. I just take my knife (a razor knife would be better) trim the excess and then a block plane to finish it up.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I have bought maple edge banding from this company (http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/prices/...ge_glued.html). Good product, good service. Cost might be less than the Borg given the quantity you may need.

Mike

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    Hey Rob,
    You might check out HD, some stores do carry edgebanding, but not lots of variety of species. There is a tool you can buy for about $10 that will trim the edges. A colt would work fine, but you will need to provide some support to keep it level.
    Jesse,
    What tool would that be? Are we speaking of the iron on banding?
    I am about to do pretty much the same. Bunches of open shelves in the new shop. I haven't used banding either. I was thinking of just using oak strips for trim off of some pallet wood I have around. If the banding will really work ok, I would use it in quite a few applications.
    Thank you

Don

I've used Fastedge in the past. Apply it with a hard roller, no heat. Got it from McFeeley's. Get the trimmer - it's worth it. It works with various stock thickness and trims both sides at once.

Mike
    If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable!

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Thank you Mike.

Don

The stick on banding or the hot melt banding works fine, and the tool is a really good spend, IMHO, but this stuff is fairly fragile, and the glue does eventually give out, then a bump and it all comes off.

For stuff around the house, that does not take any abuse, I'm thinking a shelf with towels on it or such, it is fine, but for the workshop........?

I'd rip off some 1/4" thick strips of wood and glue and nail them, they will take a lot of abuse and still be there.

Just my 2 yen's worth
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I'd rip off some 1/4" thick strips of wood and glue and nail them

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Feuerzeig View Post
    And your point is Craig?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward