Some Recent Turnings......

Stuart Ablett

I got a little time on the lathe today, I'm trying to work through some of the old stock I have, bowls that were roughed out a while back, that I've not gotten around to.

The first one is a piece of wood called "Mukunoki" it a weird wood, when you cut it green, it soon starts to go a gray color, kind of like a freshly cut apple goes brown. This cup is about 8cm wide by 6 1/2 cm tall (3"x 2 1/2"). Nothing special, but it was fun to turn.
mukunoki_cup_front.jpg mukunoki_cup_top.jpg mukunoki_cup_bottom.jpg

The second one is Keyaki, or Japanese Elm.

I love the look of this wood, but I loath working

When this stuff is dry, it is like concrete, hard as nails and very brittle, not fun to turn, but it is sure pretty.....

keyaki_bowl_top1.jpg keyaki_bowl_top2.jpg keyaki_bowl_top3.jpg

keyaki_bowl_bottom.jpg keyaki_bowl_bottom2.jpg

About 13cm in diameter and 5 cm deep (5" x 2")The second one is Keyaki, or Japanese Elm.

I love the look of this wood, but I loath working

When this stuff is dry, it is like concrete, hard as nails and very brittle, not fun to turn, but it is sure pretty.....

About 13cm in diameter and 5 cm deep (5" x 2")

Nice-looking work, Stu. :thumb:

...I love the look of this wood, but I loath working

You can say that again. :p

...I love the look of this wood, but I loath working

OK, it was only a figure of speech. :rofl:

I've got a dried 20" elm bowl rough-out that I keep postponing the finish turning on. I'm not really looking forward to the amount of work it's gonna be. The stuff I've got is Russian elm (if I remember correctly), but it's about like turning river rocks when it's dry.

Nice work, Stu! The color and grain of the Keyaki is not that unlike N. America's red Mulberry, which is also hard as nails when its dry!! :D Glad the dungeon is treating you well!