Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How clean is your shop?

Smile How clean is your shop?

Howdy folks!

Long time no talk. But it's just because I've finally been pretty busy lately. Things were dead for a long time but a few weeks ago I picked up some decent work. Actually, for the first time in a long time I was working on one job and have product on site for another job waiting to be installed and yet another job waiting to start. That's a GOOD problem to have!

My son is an avid skateboarder and has been for about four years. He does most of his skating at a nearby indoor skate park. It's a nice facility with an indoor park and a nice pro shop too. But they've outgrown the pro shop space and they rented some retail space right on Main Street in down town Rochester. It's very close to their park too. I know the owners pretty well and have done work for them at the park and in their home too. He needed a hand with some things to get ready to open. I figured it would be a few odds and ends. It turned out to be MUCH more than that. They took over the building and pretty much prepped and painted the walls and it was pretty much a big empty space. That's where I came in. I've pretty much done the entire build out. When they open tomorrow and customers walk in, just about everything they see in the way of displays is my work. I built the sales counter, their shoe display area, the clothing display racks and cabinets, all of their board display racks, and I even designed and built their light fixtures.

They wanted to display their graphic boards vertically instead of horizontally so I designed a rack system that works very well so far. I spent a LOT of time cutting, bending, and threading 1/4" steel rod for that portion of the build. I thought they just wanted a couple racks but after getting the prototype done, they loved it and decided that they wanted space for 130 boards! That's cool, but I'm not set up as a machine shop so it was all done with a vise, angle grinder, a small sledge, and a die wrench. If I ever build more of these, I think I'm going to find an easier way to thread the rod than manually!

Tomorrow afternoon is the grand opening so I'm going to head over there in the morning and take some pictures. I'll post a few tomorrow evening. Overall it came out very nice. Anyway, about three weeks ago before I started this job my garage was clean and in pretty good shape. But the way they kept on adding to the job I had to go from one project to another and didn't have time to do a complete clean up so my "shop" got WAY out of control. But again, because of the circumstances that's a GOOD problem to have. Here's what my "shop" looked like last week just prior to starting the final phase of the project....

It's good to be back! I should be posting more now.

Take care

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Is that shop supposed to be cluttered and dirty? Man mine doesn't get that organized after I clean it!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

LOL!

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

glad yu got work john, told my one daughter to mention your name if anyone at GD was looking for some work to be done.. so glad yur on the road to riches again
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

it could be cleaner but it's a shop. We work LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0013.JPG   CIMG0022.JPG   CIMG0014.JPG  
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Shop clean? Surely you jest. Don't you know using those two words in the same sentence creates an oxymoron?
    My saying is a used shop is a loved shop.
    Behold the most used corner in mine. Pretty typical for any given time. Occasionally sweep up.
    I want to see pics of Rennie's shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop dirty.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Shop clean? Surely you jest. Don't you know using those two words in the same sentence creates an oxymoron?
    My saying is a used shop is a loved shop.
    Behold the most used corner in mine. Pretty typical for any given time. Occasionally sweep up.
    I want to see pics of Rennie's shop.
    Here ya go! It's a mess right now 'cause I'm in the middle of a project. But it is well stocked. (and stop calling me Shirley)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	45476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	45477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	45478
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

The first pic below is from January...my shop will never be this clean again. Unless the wife insists on parking in there this winter.

The second pic is what my shop looks like today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_00196-1.jpg   20080312_0017.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Rennie have you ever done any work in that shop ?

No blood stains on the floor, no stain or finish spills. You really need to come and just sit a spell and see how a shop works

Just kidding. I know your intentions are good, "if you build it work will come"
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Rennie have you ever done any work in that shop ?

No blood stains on the floor, no stain or finish spills. You really need to come and just sit a spell and see how a shop works

Just kidding. I know your intentions are good, "if you build it work will come"
    Nice.

Actually, I'm working on 3 tables right now - you can see the parts strewn all over the table saw. I am guilty of sweeping at least twice a day. More for safety reasons than neatness. I painted my floors with an epoxy many years ago but did not use a traction additive. Sawdust can make them a bit slippery and I don't want to be falling into an spinning blades! Right now I think it looks pretty sloppy. It's usually much cleaner.

An, oh, by the way. I try to keep my blood stains on the work rather than the floor. Kind of a trade mark.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com