Catch up on the projects

Drew Watson

Stu you have inspired me to get the lead out and post some pics of my latest completed projects. The toothpick holder is the second one ( first went to mom on mothers day, sorry no pic) This one is made out of one block of cherry glued together with some purple heart. I couldn't find my dowels so I turned one. Finish is just buffed out with the beal system.

The box is something that came about from a stange block of oak that had some cracks in and this was what came out of it. Designed as I went. Not sure if i like it or not.

The last is from a large block of oak that I rough turned last winter I sealed it up but it cracked all the same. I threw it on the lathe anyways and this was the result. I was able toi turn all the cracks out and ended up with this Large salad sized bowl. I was trying for a bit thinner walled rim but opted on safety rather than have a second one blow up on me. Oh yea forgot about that one. The first bowl sort of blew up in the final stages when i was trimming off the bottom of the bowl. It was a little shallower than this one in depth but the same rim size.

Attachments

• The day after and finished projects 010.JPG
    The day after and finished projects 010.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 27
  • The day after and finished projects 011.JPG
    The day after and finished projects 011.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 27
  • The day after and finished projects 008.JPG
    The day after and finished projects 008.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 28
  • The day after and finished projects 009.JPG
    The day after and finished projects 009.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Salad bowl 001.JPG
    Salad bowl 001.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 25
  • Salad bowl 003.JPG
    Salad bowl 003.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Salad bowl 004.JPG
    Salad bowl 004.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 22
Very nice Drew. The toothpick holder is really cool. Wish you showed us the process for that its one i wish to try one day.

Then the Oak bowl reminds me of the one i got from Chuck in the swap. You sure that is Oak and not tiger maple or something similar. Reason i say this is the bowl i got from Chuck is definitely Tiger maple and the grain and color in parts looks exactly the same. Even your design looks similar :)

Maybe its just the pictures?:dunno:

Anyhow nice work man:thumb:

Sorry but i could not resist ......GO HABS GO.:D

Very nice Drew. The toothpick holder is really cool. Wish you showed us the process for that its one i wish to try one day.

Then the Oak bowl reminds me of the one i got from Chuck in the swap. You sure that is Oak and not tiger maple or something similar. Reason i say this is the bowl i got from Chuck is definitely Tiger maple and the grain and color in parts looks exactly the same. Even your design looks similar :)

Maybe its just the pictures?:dunno:

Anyhow nice work man:thumb:

Sorry but i could not resist ......GO HABS GO.:D

It is white Oak Rob. I do know this for a fact as i had the entire 32 inch round that it came from when they brought the tree down. It was one beast to get loaded into the vehical. I scored three from the one tree. The tannins in the chips made a mess of all the metal that they landed on when I was rough turning them.

I remember seeing that someone on this fourum had made the toothpick holders awhile ago when i first joined and I wanted to make one then but had no lathe. Lucky I picked a copy of Wood mag March 2008 there was a video on making them there and the plans but I can't seem to find the vid now. it was under "woodmagazine.com/tpickvid" . It doesn't matter I will take pics next time I make one (as soom as i can get near the lathe again as I have a stack of wood blanks in front of it now) to post the steps. It is really simple and a fun project to make.