Honest I tried to clean up the shop but....

Drew Watson

I had set out to clean the shop today and rough turn that Japanese cherry wood that I had scored, but I was down at the school board dump and I found an old map case that just screamed out for me to take it. It is 49x20x28 with a lid and piano hinge and comes with a good set of wheels all done in good ply just sitting there. It turns out no one had the heart to throw it in the dumpster as it still had some life in it for any takers. I suddenly had a fantastic Idea of how to use it. It had 5 rows of peg board and edge grain fir. Well here is what I did with it. Cut two openings in the front and put a shelf out of peg board in the top so that air can circulate and presto it has become a place to store my blanks. It took a little time to fix it up and sorry no pics of the process as i was just on a roll and forgot all about the camera. Oh and after all that I could hear the lathe calling to me begging me to turn something, so I had to turn a few things like some of the cherry bowl blanks and attempted an arbutus bowl but it went bang. Then I just had to turn a mushroom from a branch of cherry. suddenly the wife called me for dinner:eek: Where did the day go? Oh well Guess I will attempt it tomorrow. Still all said and done I am running out of room in the shop to do much of anything else but turn.

Attachments

• Shop clean up 002.JPG
    Shop clean up 002.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Shop clean up 005.JPG
    Shop clean up 005.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Shop clean up 006.JPG
    Shop clean up 006.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Shop clean up 007.JPG
    Shop clean up 007.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Shop clean up 008.JPG
    Shop clean up 008.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 91
  • Shop clean up 010.JPG
    Shop clean up 010.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Arbutus bowl 003.JPG
    Arbutus bowl 003.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 71
Drew, you keep taking bites out of the rims of those bowls you are gonna get slivers in your mouth! :rofl::rofl: It is amazing what gets thrown away. But I do have to ask, what is a school board dump?

Drew, you keep taking bites out of the rims of those bowls you are gonna get slivers in your mouth! :rofl::rofl: It is amazing what gets thrown away. But I do have to ask, what is a school board dump?

Well you know it just cuts down one the steps between eating and using a toothpick :rofl:

Jonathan the school board dump is just the area where we store the grounds maintinence materials ( gravel, soil, bark mulch) also the area where we store extra building materials and where we throw out all the scrap/ damaged materials from the day to day upkeep of the maintenence of the schools in our district. You know rotten stairs, roof repairs, broken windows, broken furniture, Things that would normally go to the local land fill. We also have a dump bin for metal. It is also where we throw out old furniture that broken or damaged and is no longer safe for children to use.

Oh yea I actually had the shop all cleaned up last night. Then today when The wife was out I popped a couple of pain killers and spent a few hrs cutting up the remaining rounds of some Oak, Japanese cherry, Dogwood, Arbutus, Chestnut and Maple. What a mess.

Hehe

AH, a familiar scenario. I have been trying to get my shop functioning as a turning and furniture shop. So far it's not going so well. Logs just keep calling to me. :D

Yeah, my shop goes a little long between sweepings, and it hardly ever gets truly clean. My worse problem is letting my driveway fill with all the shavings. I wait until there's a few cubic yards, and man is a pain to haul away, especially since it's usually soaking wet.

Hutch

Last edited:
I spent some time yesterday cleaning up the wood pile in the driveway and bagging all the chips from the chain saw. It seems that the Japanese cherry wood chips have stained the driveway in only a couple of days. I collected 5 extra large garbage bags full of wood chips and 3 more inside from the pile around the lathe.

I have to keep the shop clean as the cats outside access to the house is through the garage/shop and any piles of wood chips is just an open invite (it seems) to poop or pee in the garage. Clean shop means no cats and no tracking dust and chips into the house.

I am picking up a cheap shower curtain today to try that out for around the lathe. I am finding chips right across the garage.

What's wrong with that? You can still see the floor. I work out of a 6' x 10' shed so you can imaging what state that gets into. If I left it as long as Bernie I'd never get through the door:rofl:

Pete