15" planer feed trouble

larry merlau

i have a stationary 15" planer top cutter ,top motor variety. i was running some lumber threw it yesterday and i had to push it threw to much.. it was dry hickory and wasnt taking that heavy of a cut.. any idea why the feed roller is not grabbing it and pulling it threw on its own.. i have use other 20" models and you stick in and it grabs it and its going on its own for the most part unless you hit a thick spot where it wasnt cut uniform.. is it because hickory is a HARD wood and it doesnt grip it well???

Wax the table that will help some. You can also have to much down pressure on the feed rollers and that will cause it to stop feeding it's kind of backward of what you would think. Normal reaction it to put more down press and that can be the wrong way to go making the problem worse.
I always had a block of paraffin wax and rub on the table that help alot and will not cause any finish problem in the wood.

When were the blades last sharpened? I know on my Dewalt, the sign that it's time for new blades is when it stops feeding right...

almost every time I have a feed issue on my planer, I wipe down the rollers carefully with acetone or mineral spirits, lightly, clean them good though, and give 2 coats of butchers wax to the surface, and the wood feed through perfectly.
clean it up, it will probably run much better, I think if the blades are dull, the feed would be good, the cutting would be poor.

i have a stationary 15" planer top cutter ,top motor variety. i was running some lumber threw it yesterday and i had to push it threw to much.. it was dry hickory and wasnt taking that heavy of a cut.. any idea why the feed roller is not grabbing it and pulling it threw on its own.. i have use other 20" models and you stick in and it grabs it and its going on its own for the most part unless you hit a thick spot where it wasnt cut uniform.. is it because hickory is a HARD wood and it doesnt grip it well???

Larry,
I have the same planer. Does it do that with anything now, or only with the hickory?

If it's now doing it with everything, check the gearbox to make sure the feed gear drive is fully engaged. Mine will occasionally slip 'out of gear.'

BTW, check the oil level in the gearbox, too.

thanks for the help folks ,, jay gets the banana tho the wax fixed it:) one hand work now not all of me pushun it.. and jim wil get back to you on te gear box issue havnt had any trouble with leakage or such but will keep my yey open:) thansk again back the hickory:)