Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCMS Station

SCMS Station

Anybody have some pictures of their miter saw stations? I am looking for sliders. Got an idea of what I want to do, but can always use more.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    here a drawing of the one I'm getting ready to make
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miter Saw bench.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

here is what i have steve, its raised up so i dont have been down to see where i am cutting.. it would work for a slider as well ,,just need more room behind it. and the box does pretty good job of catchun the dust. the dust collection is a length of metal duct work running behind it and have it running down hill to the intake area.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_mitre saw 001.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	45558

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_mitre saw 002.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	45559
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Now we are cooking.

I am thinking a cabinet style, as I could use all the storage I can get. Will be around 11'-3" long. Not sure on the height yet. Will have to be 36" deep to accommodate all the sliding. Not sure if I am going to build in a feature to lay the saw over for bevels.

is this a station?

Probably not what you would call a "station". Just a stand. Familiar green color. But, note: the saw ain't.
    Boy, oh, boy, these pics really make my place look dusty and dirty. Must be sumptin' in the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saw.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Now we are cooking.

I am thinking a cabinet style, as I could use all the storage I can get. Will be around 11'-3" long. Not sure on the height yet. Will have to be 36" deep to accommodate all the sliding. Not sure if I am going to build in a feature to lay the saw over for bevels.
    Steve,
    You can do something along the lines of the one I'm going to make. Mine's only 24" deep cause it not a slider. It's only 60" long caus my shop is space challenged It is 28" tall except where the saw goes. Thats 24 1/2" to accomidate the saw. There will be a round cutout under the saw so I can hook it into my Dust Collector.
    I find that a lot of the dust can be coollected from below then just put a wye on the shoot with a hose to hook the top into the DC.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, that was going to be my next question. I wonder if I can do the cut out and use a shop vac for both? No way can I get my little dust collector to where the saw will be.

I have a Milwaukee miter stand for my saw. Works pretty good, just gets in the way.

Don't know if the shop vac could handle the volume for both. I'd probubl;y just use it on the top.

One of the resons I am doing the shop reorg. is to be able to run 4 " lines from my HF DC to all of the stationary tools in the shop. Also to gain more work room and be able to keep each machine setup. Right now they are all on wheels and I pull em out to use em.

Will be watching this as this is one of the next builds in the shop as I have the stand like Frank posted, but it is awkward to move and uses up so much floor space without any storage underneath. I have both, SCMS and MS, I would not get rid of the slider, but it sure is tough to place against a wall! Larry used his saw while we were there with Rennie, no dust in the air of on the bench that I saw. Was very impressed with his set up, although it isn't a slider, the ability to catch the dust should be similar.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Steve look up Stus post on the slider table he built in his dungeon. Its a really worthwhile thread to go through.

Delve into it to get the meat.
    cheers