Respirator

Can anyone recommend a respirator or dust mask that will not fog up my eye glasses. I am cutting and sanding cedar, I've purchased several (inexpensive) dost masks or filters, but with in a minute or so of putting them on my glasses fog up so bad I can't see what I'm doing. Add this problem to not knowing what I'm doing doesn't help.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday cutting and sanding. had my Jet ceiling mount air filter going ( I actually have two of them mounted and both were on) had my belt and disc sander attached to a Dust Deputy and last night I had to sleep sitting up in a recliner because I was wheezing so bad when I laid down. This morning I feel like I have a 100 pound weight on my chest.

Thanks for your help

Jiggs Elphison

jiggs i too got stuffed up bad from cedar, aromatic red and the western red. i had everythng i could use going ,air cleaner and DC but i still got some of the stuff where it didnt belong. ended up using a face respirator the cheap ones and will do my best to stay away from it now or will get something better to use. frank you got a link to your idea? it might look strange wearing a trend or something similair during your work jiggs but i and you both know we would have paid that to sleep comfortable for the next two or three days huh..

The mask I like got eliminated in the AO Safety/3M deal and is no longer made (story of my life). Fortunately I have lots of filters (I wondered why they were on clearance at K-Mart; found out later).

I have trouble with the "half mask" variety probably due to my narrow face. they function beautifully but the filters block a lot of my field of vision. If I find a good one for us narrow faced folks, I'll be sure to post.

The key is a good fit. Strap on the mask comfortably with the filter cartridges off, put your hand(s) over the filter holes and inhale through you nose. The mask should suck onto your face, not leak around the edges.

Once a good size/fit is found you have to decide if the filters are oriented and sized so that you can safely work with the mask on. I always check these threads because sooner or later, my favorite mask will wear out.

Till then, if I find any of these Safety-001.jpg anywhere, I'm buying all they have. I sometimes forget I'm wearing it, really, and fogging is a non-issue.

P.s. The Dust-Bee-Gone gets great reviews but I have not had a chance to try one. I don't know why they don't push for a NIOSH or OSHA approval stamp.

Last edited:
jiggs i too got stuffed up bad from cedar, aromatic red and the western red. i had everythng i could use going ,air cleaner and DC but i still got some of the stuff where it didnt belong. ended up using a face respirator the cheap ones and will do my best to stay away from it now or will get something better to use. frank you got a link to your idea? it might look strange wearing a trend or something similair during your work jiggs but i and you both know we would have paid that to sleep comfortable for the next two or three days huh..

http://www.dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html
Also sold by Woodcraft.

Hi Jiggs check out "North by honey well". I have both a half mask and full mask cartridge respirator masks that I highly recomend as we use them for asbestos removal and they do work great. One thing I will say is don't cheap out on the respritory protection. Not that I am pushing the north system but this is the system that I am familiar with.

I also recomend to any wood worker that deal in any dust the Neilmed sinus rinse system. It is so simple and drug free it works great. Not the "Nelli pot" this squirts saline solution up in one side and out the other with all the junk you suck up in a day. It is amazing how much junk we get in our shops from the simplest of tasks. I swear it is almost the cure for the common cold. I do once in the morning and a couple of times after being in the shop and i get tons of junk out of my sinus's. Docs misdiagnosed me with asthma 15 yrs ago and i have been fighting them till I was hooked up with an ear, nose and throat doc that discovered a bad sinus infection. One nasal surgery later and regular use of the sinus rinse and I have never felt better. I have not had a cold in over a year. It is availible at wall mart.

Oh the North masks require clean shaven face but I have never had my glass's fog using it as opposed to the cheap dust masks ( and i have tried all of them). The full face mask can't be used with glasses but there is no fogging at all.

Jiggs and Glenn you guys want to check out this mask from LV.

It is N99 rating and works well especially suited to being under a face mask.

The mask is low profile and the filter is replaceable and really good. I use this one and its surprising that when i cut something like walnut which has an odour i can only smell the odour when i take the mask off. The fit with the face is great and by the way i wear glasses too when i need to see fine things.

Its not expensive to experiment with coming in at $18 but it works great. The valve is in the middle so you get no air blowing up your nose.

I dont think it has been publicised well because i would thing you would see every drywall guy with one but its not the case they still use those useless paper things.

The filters last well and 2 for $8 bucks i dont think its bad at all.

what do you advise for a face with a beard, a diver mask or helmet cost too money

For a mask, I recommend the Dust Bee Gone. For me, it works great. Seemed expensive, about $35.00, when I bought it but now I call it a good value. Easy to wash between uses.

I have used a Dust Bee Gone for about 3 years & had no problems UNTIL I turned some spalted Maple & sanded it choked me up for about 5 days. I like the DBG because it fits over my beard.

After this I wouldn't wear a DBG for more than nuisance dust like from the table saw or something like that never sanding turnings (sanding of any kind)especially spalted material or anything in the Rose wood family. The DBG doesn't filter fine enough.

After this episode I started looking around I really like the air helmet style systems but the price while not bad was a bit more than I was prepared to pay at this time.

I ended up at Ace Hardware looking to see what they had. I found a 3M cartridge style mask for about $36 & I thought this thing probably won't seal up against my beard but it's only $36 to find out so I purchased it & tried it & it worked.... I was really surprised. I didn't feel like I wasn't getting enough air either. It was comfortable & I could wear it under my face shield I even put on my Pelter work tunes.

I wore this get up into the house to get the dogs reaction they just looked at me like ya thats you alright...I was real disappointed.

The dust B gone is only good down to 3 microns. The stuff that get into your lungs is 2.5 micron so it won't work. Look for something that will work down to 1 micron to be safe. There are basically 3 classes of filters. PM-10 (10 microns) PM 2.5 (2.5 microns) and PM 1. You can get differant filters.

I've got the one from AO Safety the Glenn showed. I didn't realize they were not making them any more. :doh:Bummer, because it works well with my glasses.

I've also got the 3M half-mask with VOC cartridges for when I'm spraying solvent-based finishes. It works well, but it's a bit bulky compared to the AO Safety respirator.

For turning and sanding at the lathe, I have a Trend Airshield. :thumb:

Sorry Glenn, I couldn't Resist! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Vader.jpg
    Vader.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 44
no problem there ,---I stop using a razor because a razor cut took 3 hours [more or less ]to stop draining //electric shavers are not much better///thanks for the link but I think that I will rigg the oxygen tanks that I already use///ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME

Yea I know what you mean with bleeding for 3 hrs. :thumb:I shave because I dive and like a good seal on my mask but it is just a little awkward to work in the shop packing my scuba tank around. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jiggs and Glenn you guys want to check out this mask from LV.

It is N99 rating and works well especially suited to being under a face mask.

The mask is low profile and the filter is replaceable and really good. I use this one and its surprising that when i cut something like walnut which has an odour i can only smell the odour when i take the mask off. The fit with the face is great and by the way i wear glasses too when i need to see fine things.

Its not expensive to experiment with coming in at $18 but it works great. The valve is in the middle so you get no air blowing up your nose.

I dont think it has been publicised well because i would thing you would see every drywall guy with one but its not the case they still use those useless paper things.

The filters last well and 2 for $8 bucks i dont think its bad at all.

Rob,
I like the looks of that one... I use a paper mask from 3M that has the breathing port on the front... it works pretty good for me, but I still get dust under... this one looks like it might work better and will still let me breathe.... I wear a short beard myself and it looks like it might work over that too.... thanks for the post.