Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: professional and users advice

professional and users advice

as we all get older our eyes get weaker, so i am at the point where i am asking you folks ,,do you have the lazer surgery at the age of fifty something or just keep wearing glasses..at 500 to 600 a pop for glasses you could get the surgery and not have the glasses. so to those of you in the glasses or lazer catagory or those that have professional advice.. speak up and let us other folk know our options and the pros and cons of it.. one tired "looker" person, but i have only been at it for a few years not a life time..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

For me I'll stick with glasses. These are my first pair of glasses and I went with safety glasses since I need them for my job anyway. I now a few people that had the laser surgery and they had to have the surgery again becuase the first one didn't do the correction.

As far as I'm concerned, I would stick to glasses, they are pain to wear hanging from your neck if you need them only for tired vision or presbitia, and putting them on and off.

I'm really scared about anyone messing around with my eyes, so unless I can't hardly see I think I will use glasses.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Well, Larry, about 17 years ago my eye sight was 20/400 with astigmatism. I could work on very tiny things without magnification, BUT I couldn't see anything clearly 6 feet or farther away.

I checked it out with those who had had laser surgery done. they were satisfied. So am I. I have had NO problems. I do wear "Cheaters" for close up at a cost of 9.00 a pair instead of 400.00 for clear and sunglasses.

The proceedure took about 1 hour plus a hotel room so I could be checked in the morning. I get a checkup each year to make sure everything is still fine, at no cost.

For me, it was the way to go.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Both of my wives brothers had it. One had no problems the other had problems. I started wearing glasses at age 40 for astegatism and at 50 I needed biffocels now I jusy plan on wearing the glasses. I'm with Toni, afraid to mess with my eyes.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Both of my wives brothers
    How many wives have you had Don????
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

My daughter in law was severly nearsighted. She had the laser surgery (I'm not sure which procedure) several years ago and is very happy with the results.
    I had secondary cataracts removed with laser a couple years ago. Easy procedure, no discomfort and all is well.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

My Mom and step dad had to done a few years back and they are in their 70's and 80's and they love it and highly recomend it. I have checked into it and lots of doctors here will not do it unless you are 50 or older. So a couple more years for me.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I'm fairly nearsighted, I used to wear Contact lenses, and as I aged, I got to where I had to wear reading glasses with them for close up work, I talked to my eye doctor and she said that I would have to wear the reading glasses if if I had the laser surgery just like with the contacts. So now I just stick with bifocals
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    as we all get older our eyes get weaker, so i am at the point where i am asking you folks ,,do you have the lazer surgery at the age of fifty something or just keep wearing glasses..at 500 to 600 a pop for glasses you could get the surgery and not have the glasses. so to those of you in the glasses or lazer catagory or those that have professional advice.. speak up and let us other folk know our options and the pros and cons of it.. one tired "looker" person, but i have only been at it for a few years not a life time..

Well I give less than 20.00 a pair for prescription single vision glasses. Now the progressive bifocals I have paid as much as 180.00 for. I just this week scratched the lenses on the newest pair of safety glasses I have and no longer have a job to get them for free, so I don't know how bad they will set me back.

I suspect at some time I will have to have cataract surgery as everyone in my family has, and that will correct my vision the same as laser would.

I get my glasses here any more..
    http://www.zennioptical.com