Night stand??

we have one pretty much just like that with 3 drawers. I like the functionality of it. That said it depends what you are going to put in the space.... if it will be multiple books go with the door or open design, a paperback and some reading glasses, sock & underwear, jewelry yadda yadda... go with the drawer design

well kalea, i think if i leave i open down there it will sty less clutterd things seem to find spots in drawers to never be found again:) as of right now the clothes storge isnt a problem:) and i just leave my jewelery on for the night to much work gettin the rings outa my ears and eyebrows:)

Drawer side wood

drawer sides??? on a walnut version of this, would you use walnut or sub wood i am leaning towards ash for the sides? what is proper design wize?

I would leave it as it is.

May I ask why are you thinking about modifying it?

A door would be OK but I would make it coherent with the sides and the drawer front.

On the other hand, if you want to go wild (not much though) I would make both the drawer front and the door either convex or concave, not much, maybe half and inch deep in the center from the sides, with no separation between them.

toni ,was thinkun it would accent the bird tails better being contrasting and the door isnt on this version// just a open shelf. but maybe i shouldnt bring attention to a bad spot on this..hand cuttin tails will be sloppy fer sure:)

I think just about anything light would work on the drawer sides and I agree with you on accenting the tails.

I think function really defines what the best design is, and personal taste. 3 drawers, drawer/door, drawer/open all can be built nice and attractive, just go with the one that fits your personal combination of function and taste.

One thing I think makes a big difference on a little project like this, finding the right drawer pull. You're only going to to have two of them, might as well spend time making/money buying the one that fits perfect. I do like the curved front idea if you wanted to do something a little different.

Late answer to Rob - I mis-spoke, but the doors open correctly. That is, the hinge is on the far side of the door, so that you can open the door from in bed.

I'm a fan of pine drawer sides. I'll post some photos in a bit.

Hi,

As my wife's brother would say, "This is just one darned fool's opinion." For me, I would have the top section (where you have the one drawer) open. Then drawers below. The reasons:

The top of the cabinet would hold things I am very apt to want in the night such as Kleenex, note pad, pencil, water in a short, fat, glass with a heavy bottom to prevent mid-night klutzy movement spills, cell phone with ringer turned off (it is there in case of need for emergency outgoing telephone call) and a clock). I have not had an emergency incoming telephone call for at least 65 years. I have had a lot of wrong numbers placed by drunks, etc. Therefore ringer is turned off.

The open section, just below the top would hold the next most important items that might be used in the night. This would keep them within easy reach yet leave the top basically clear to reach priority items in the night.

The drawers would contain books, my next to most recent glasses, a couple WW magazines, a clipboard and pencil,. It might also hold a different size pillow, in case I want to exchange in the night.

Enjoy,

Jim