out with the old, in with the new

That's some fine woodworking there, Allen. You're a master. :p

attachment.php

The joints on that new unit are outstanding!! :thumb:

;):D

Yeppers, of all the butt joints I've ever seen, that's six of them right there. :thumb: The finish looks top-notch, too. So natural looking, you almost can't tell it's there. :D

And nothing says "quality" or "floor protection" louder than a cardboard base. :rofl:

Yeppers, of all the butt joints I've ever seen, that's six of them right there. :thumb: The finish looks top-notch, too. So natural looking, you almost can't tell it's there. :D

And nothing says "quality" or "floor protection" louder than a cardboard base. :rofl:
....... and lets not forget to mention the wiring, wow, top drawer, class all the way, I can really see that you put a lot of thought, time and effort into running the wiring, it has a very organic look to it :clap:

....pssssst hey Vaughn, think we can get him to bump it up to #3 or even #2 :D :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had made a nice wooden plate out of mahogany for the hole in the wall where all the wires came out originally. Its not like anyone saw them with the unit blocking it.
Then my son starting running more wires.
Years ago some were for hard wired old fashioned attenna(as backup for tv in event of loss of cable or satellite), then ran more wires so I could have interenet service out in the garage(he gave me an old laptop to use outside), and it continued.
He had 4 dvd players, playstation, and a few other things hooked up.
At 9 pm last night, he called to tell me hes coming over to take the unit.
I looked at all those wires, I have no clue what they all are. He said, dont worry dad, Ill come back in a few days and clean it all up.
Famous last words.
Ill remind tomorrow, were laying a pergo floor in his bedroom. That should be fun.(not)

everything is a new experience for us. (me and him)
He needed to change all the locks
All were easy enough, he bough schlage lock sets for all doors.
Then he hit a problem. The front door hole was too small and needed a bigger hole.
I had no clue there is a bracket for this type of job
Trying to drill a hole bigger with no center is not an easy task not knowing what your doing.
I finally told him to take a closet pole down, hold it in place in the hole(it fit almost perfect), then managed to get the hole drilled. Now the door needs a bit of sanding and touchup paint, but he intended on repainting the door anyway. We got it done. Thats what counts. (I called my plumber of all people on sunday afternoon, he told me to run over to HD and buy a jig/bracket for that)

Last edited:
I had made a nice wooden plate out of mahogany for the hole in the wall where all the wires came out originally. Its not like anyone saw them with the unit blocking it.
Then my son starting running more wires.
Years ago some were for hard wired old fashioned attenna(as backup for tv in event of loss of cable or satellite), then ran more wires so I could have interenet service out in the garage(he gave me an old laptop to use outside), and it continued.
He had 4 dvd players, playstation, and a few other things hooked up.
At 9 pm last night, he called to tell me hes coming over to take the unit.
I looked at all those wires, I have no clue what they all are. He said, dont worry dad, Ill come back in a few days and clean it all up.
Famous last words.
Ill remind tomorrow, were laying a pergo floor in his bedroom. That should be fun.(not)

Don't you love it when kids start running wires...:eek::eek:
I came home from work one day... my son who was about 13 or 14 at the time had tied into the cable in the living room, run a cable across the LR, down the hall to his room under his door to his computer monitor where he had built a switch box that would switch the monitor from the computer over to a TV... "He didn't think I would mind"... :rofl::rofl:

thanx stu, but you know when youre in the middle of 30 things at once, trying to get one thing done so its one less thing on the list, and everything goes smooth till the last split second, eh...........the bracket thing for 9.99 looked easy enough, but the closet pole worked.
That is a pretty smart looking handy device though.
I was given the day off.
The wife is taking him shopping today to fill the house with food and all the other staples, like towels, kitchen needs, etc..........our gift to him.

Last edited:
I had the same problem trying to drill a larger hole with my hole saw. I ended up drilling the size hole I wanted in a scrap piece of wood about 3/4" thick and clamping it over the hole to be drilled and then drilled it out. Worked great !!

I had the same problem trying to drill a larger hole with my hole saw. I ended up drilling the size hole I wanted in a scrap piece of wood about 3/4" thick and clamping it over the hole to be drilled and then drilled it out. Worked great !!

That's a great tip, Bob. :thumb:

I assisted my son with installing this pergo floor today.
He did the back breaking floor work, I was in no shape to do much, I did all the cutting. We did a better job than the floor guy I hired.
I borrowed someones portable table saw, the worst piece of equipment Ive even used, and didnt have a hand saw, so I used my leathermans saw to make all the small cuts. Not the easiest way, but we got the job done.
I was very impressed with my sons skills.
Easy, no. 7 hours for the two of us to lay the moisture barrier and flooring. room is 12x20 feet.

sorry bout the pic, he sent it to me by phone, cant figure it out how to get it here.

Attachments

• floor.bmp
    66.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: