Irregular threading?

Joseph Shaul

I'm building an activated carbon filter for filtering cheap vodka for use in making liqueurs. I'd like to be able to screw the end of a tube (preferably copper) on to the end of the bottle directly, but they seem to use a rather wonky sort of threading. Can anyone make any suggestions as to a way I might go about this?

Joseph,
Why? Just make the opening in filter big enough so that you can pour it streight into it. If you fit the filter directly onto the bottle the liquid will not come out unless air can get into the bottle. Think about a water bottle upside down in a hamsters cage.

I'm building an activated carbon filter for filtering cheap vodka for use in making liqueurs. I'd like to be able to screw the end of a tube (preferably copper) on to the end of the bottle directly, but they seem to use a rather wonky sort of threading. Can anyone make any suggestions as to a way I might go about this?

1) use some epoxy putty and 'cast' a socket for the bottle threads. Use plenty of wax or something to make sure the epoxy doesn't stick to the threads. You could then turn the epoxy to make it look nicer and thead the other end for a copper fitting.

2) Use a rubber cork.

3) Use some sort of rubber bung you could drill just slightly undersize to the bottle.

I didn't see anywhere in his thread where he said he was making "cheap hooch"! :rofl::rofl: He is not wanting to spill a drop, so it is either so potent it will cause a fire or eat a hole in the floor, or it is more expensive than gold! :eek::wave::wave:

Guys, this is Joseph we are talking about here...

I've got a feeling he has a little higher design in mind! :thumb:

I've been filtering cheap Vodka for years and it all seems to smell like Urine, wonder what I am doing wrong... ? :huh: :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I didn't see anywhere in his thread where he said he was making "cheap hooch"! :rofl::rofl: He is not wanting to spill a drop, so it is either so potent it will cause a fire or eat a hole in the floor, or it is more expensive than gold! :eek::wave::wave:

...or I'm just incredibly cheap. :p

I'm mostly just hoping to use gravity to force the liquid through the filter, and I figure that the most efficient way to do this was simply to attach the end of the filter to the end of the bottle and flip it upside down. While the progress of the liquid might be impeded by the filter's resistance to the air required to displace the liquid, the low flow rate of a carbon filter means that this shouldn't be a major issue.

I like the idea of using epoxy to make a negative mould of the end of the tube - it's a good idea. However, I think I'll try the solution I employed when making a pneumatic air rifle when I was a kid, which is to use a piece of flexible tubing with a hose clamp at both ends to join the bottle to the filter. This also has the side benefit of allowing me to pressurize the vodka bottle with a bicycle pump if I want the booze to move through a little quicker. :p

I made some Drambuie from vodka once. It gave everyone at the party hives.:eek:

According to Wikipedia, drambuie is made from standard scotch-style whisky, honey, and about half the contents of a spice rack. How that gave anyone hives, we may never know. :huh: