Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sort of off-beat request

Sort of off-beat request

I am writing/taping another woodworking book/video. When I did the Router Joinery Workshop, I had a newbie friend who also happened to be an editor. If she understood and could do what I was writing about, I had a winner. That book was published in 2003, and there has not been one single request to make a change because something was found to be incorrect. I found that to be rather amazing and it was in huge part because it was 'field-proven' before it went to print.

Since this book/video will be on basic woodworking as in total newbie beginning, I would like to find someone local to mentor and quiz along the way. As I am in the beautiful mountains of Arizona 100 miles from a larger metropolitan area, finding a local is the goal.

The usual sources, like a club, or local lumber yard is not available to me to make my need public. There is a local paper in a town 20 miles away, but my experience has been that few read it, considering it relatively useless.

How does one find wanna-be's?

Any suggestions?

What a cool idea Carol.

Hmm, I'm guessing you are in a relatively sparsely populated area?

Are there any types of community/county meetings you could attend? I know our little area has a monthly "Citizens Advisory Board" meeting where issues concerning our little chunk of the county are discussed.

Maybe you could ask the members of your congregation for any leads?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

if i understood you correctly your looking for a person to teach and ask question as to how to properly do the whole beginning stages of woodworking.. if so try the local schools and see if they have a wood shop class yet and if so you are looking for a special someone to do this with.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

So far:
    "types of community/county meetings"

Hmmmm....bears more investigation. I did have a chat with the local person who writes a local column for the newspaper I mentioned in my OP. Should be in the paper next week. And I have an appointment with my hairdresser tomorrow. That's like plugging into the local party line of old.

"members of your congregation"

That community is 110 miles away, and yeah, I drive that both ways each Sunday. So that is sort of impractical for this purpose. But my former congregation is only 20 miles away. I think I will write a blurb for that newsletter. Thanks for the mind bump.

"try the local schools"

For insurance purposes, the individual must be of legal age. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    So far:

"try the local schools"

well sometimes they graduate and are out of work these days,, could still be a person that was good in shop but is graduated and above the age of 18 now..unless they are all genius's in them ther mountains
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post

"try the local schools"

If it is a specific project or set of tasks for specific pieces of equipment, a local woods teacher may be teaching a similar lesson. He/she may find yours more useful, if they take it on to teach in their classroom, there wouldn't be any liability on you unless you are specifically instructing them to remove guards or use equipment in a dangerous manner. I feed my middle school IT teacher basic wood projects all the time that demonstrate different tasks on different tools and they end up with a project in hand at the end. PM me if you want Carol.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Carol,
    Somewhere around here I have the name and number for the guy who is in charge of the adult ed woodworking courses at Mircopa College. I'll look around and send it to you when I find it. He may know of someone a little closer to ya.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Carol,
    I sent you a PM with the contact names.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Let me clarify, guys.

I am looking for someone who knows zippo but would like to learn. I have forgotten the questions true newbies have, so to write a book for newbies, I need a newbie or two.

It is most convenient to have them come to me. I certainly am not going to taken on someone a hundred miles away or more. It would take too long.

Someone nearby with time and a few bucks for some basic tools, and a willingness to commit for 6-8 months. That's about what it took me to write the last book. My shop and my tools are available, but I would like them motivated enough to start putting together their own shop.

The person likely to buy the book/video would be someone with time, money and motivation. But not tons of it. And no nearby woodworking classes or even club.

And if this is not viable, then there are no customers and I would be wasting my time. Now is the time to learn this.

Remember, one of the knocks on Norm was the shop full of tools he had. But a newbie wouldn't have that. And I have a whole lot more than a beginner. So I need to use more humble means to accomplish some tasks. If you get my drift.

But thanks for the tips. So where do newbies look for woodworking help when they want to learn but they haven't yet found all the resources you and I know about?

I am not adverse to feeding info to a local school, but that isn't the purpose here.

HEY, what about your local 4H woodworking club??? Surely like ours, plenty of kids that want to do this but don't have interested or capable parents. So then the list expands to cub/boy scouts? Brownies/girl scouts? Department of Natural Resources and help volunteers build nesting boxes (if your book isn't project specific). Now am I on a more correct track?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING