Steam Bending Question

Dan Mooney

I need to bend some pieces for a project, I remember Leo Vosine had a post that he used charcoal for the heat, I tried that, and got the water boiling good, but didn't get much steam up to the wood.

Should I be using a bigger hose from the pot to the pipe? It's 3/4" inside diameter. I'm going to change to using either an electric hot plate or a propane camp stove, the charcoal didn't last as long as I liked.

Any help appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Steam.001.jpg
    Steam.001.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 59
Dan, at first glance, it appears there is no hole on the other end of your steam chamber. The steam needs to flow through from one end to the other. Just a small hole to let it vent. Maybe 1/2 inch.

I used a propane burner made for cooking turkeys or other big pots of stuff.

Attachments

• tn_mug9 001.JPG
    tn_mug9 001.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 29
Looking at your set up I would say that your heat source is the problem. Hotter fire for a harder boil, harder boil = more steam:thumb: The size of your vent hole should be fine.

Dan, got a propane grill? That is basically what the turkey fryers are with a ring of fire around the pot. Your grill will probably put off more heat than what you have. I just got my mugs from Chuck, the steam bent handles and the mugs themselves are beyond belief/imagination/explanation. Whatever he says, follow it. I have 12 mugs here beside me that are testimony that he knows what it is he is talking about.

Dan, got a propane grill? That is basically what the turkey fryers are with a ring of fire around the pot. Your grill will probably put off more heat than what you have. I just got my mugs from Chuck, the steam bent handles and the mugs themselves are beyond belief/imagination/explanation. Whatever he says, follow it. I have 12 mugs here beside me that are testimony that he knows what it is he is talking about.

wait till you drink outa them they got magical powers in them:) you see strange thingsa fter drinkling out them:) good things of course:rofl::rofl: