Ridgid CS - LSA

glenn bradley

So my Ridgid EB4224 oscillating spindle/belt sander developed a shudder on the upswing. A phone call eventually led to me dropping it at my local service center about 45 miles away. That was at the end of March.

Some of the repair parts showed up right away but there was a delay till the first week of May on the last part required to do the repair. When the part didn't show the service center called Ridgid for status; the parts will not be available til October!?!

I contacted Ridgid and was told that a replacement unit could not be requested until the repair delay hit 90 days. That means I would have to just cool my jets for 50 days before I can even start the replacement process.

I called Ridgid and asked that, while appreciating the need for policies and procedure, couldn't we all agree that the 90days would surely be met and let's just go ahead and order a replacement. As a matter of fact, there's a stack of 4224's right down the street at the same Home Depot where I bought it in the first place. How about I just go get one of those? . . . . Nope.

After the Ridgid rep called the service center I was told that a replacement request will be sent by the service center and a replacement unit should arrive in about a month.

(read sarcasm here) Wow. Now that's efficient and satisfying customer service, huh?

Last edited:
I guess that's good news. The post would be more meaningful is we knew wat a 4224 wuz. Yes, I Googled it and learned it is an oscillating sander.
Now, about "cooling yer jets". :huh: Is thet Family friendly talk? :rolleyes:

I guess that's good news. The post would be more meaningful is we knew wat a 4224 wuz. Yes, I Googled it and learned it is an oscillating sander.
Now, about "cooling yer jets". :huh: Is thet Family friendly talk? :rolleyes:

Right you are Frank. I know that using model numbers or nicknames under the assumption that folks know what you mean can be annoying. I accept 40 lashes with a wet noodle. Now fixed. :)

Hmmm,

I had been thinking about picking one of those units up, but I'm starting to rethink that... Heard a lot of good things about the unit, but if it breaks and they won't fix it (well, at least in a reasonable time frame), what good is it?

Seems to me like they should just take it back, give you a new one, refurb that one, and then sell it to the refurb dealers...

Wow this is not good news. Glenn how long have you had the unit? I cannot imagine that you would be rough on a machine. Is this a bad omen for the machine or do you think its a one off ?

Like Brent i have had this on my list for a long time. Would have had it long ago but refuse to pay additonal $50 for it in Canada when our exchange rate is nearly par. So i am patiently waiting for the day i cross the border again.

The good side of a bad story here is that at least they put in for a replacement unit. Is that the CA law or is it Rigids own commitment that if they cannot fix it they replace it.:dunno:

I would not have thought that kind of commitement followed an item that cost $200.

Does this unit have a lifetime warranty in the USA?

Now i can see why guys have these sanders in separate components.:doh:

This looked like a nice compact unit and good size for a hobbyiest with small shop. I aint seen anything like it on the market. It never goes on sale here. They know what they have.:(

I've never really been convinced on Ridgid WW tools. I just don't like the combo of HD & Ridgid. The only Ridgid tool I have is the old style MSUV. I looked at their sander combo unit & purchased the G1014Z & later the Jet bench top spindle sander. The gotta have it now syndrome used to burn me once in a while till I learned a little patience I still get burned once in a long long time.

Last edited:
Wow this is not good news. Glenn how long have you had the unit? I cannot imagine that you would be rough on a machine. Is this a bad omen for the machine or do you think its a one off ?

The guy who runs the service center knew what the problem was with just a verbal description. He has the same unit and has fixed the same problem on his own machine.

If he is correct (and I bet he is) I am the culprit, not the machine. The manual clearly states that you should not use the small end of the belt as a spindle. Apparently, one (that one would be me) can put a little too much sideways pressure out there and mess up the drive mechanism; leverage is a powerful thing.

The upside is that they fix it under warranty and the guy at the shop has never had the problem again. I probably won't either due to a revised technique in using the machine brought on directly by the intense penalty in lost time for repairs. ;)

He has a professional cabinet shop customer that has 3 of these units, one is always in for repair. He has tried in vain to get the guy to just pony up for a professional level machine but they guy won't budge. It seems he thinks he is getting a bargain by driving back and forth to the repair shop(?). I wouldn't think a pro shop could use the LSA that way(?).

I would love a large oscillating machine like the Grizzly G0563 or 564 but they cost near what a floor standing spiral head planer cost and the planer would definitely come first.

Is that the CA law or is it Rigids own commitment that if they cannot fix it they replace it.:dunno:
I do have the Lifetime Service Aggreement so I don't know if this applies without it but if Ridgid can't fix your machine in 90 days, they replace it.

Last edited:
I have the same unit and really like it. But the service has me a little worried about buying Ridgid products.

It seems they will stand behind their product. They just aren't very nimble on their feet and the folks that can make thinking decisions are a few levels too many separated from those who deal with the customers. Reminds me of IBM in the 80's; a maturely developed corporate machine, just too big to react very quickly to anything.

Good idea Terry. I have done so. It sounds like the process is in motion on this issue (slow motion) but perhaps this will stimulate some discussion and ideas.

Picked up the sander this morning; all better. I had the opportunity to choose between repair or replacement since it had taken so long. I went with repair. Good call as it turns out; Ridgid had lost track of the replacement order and had not even processed it yet as of this morning ;-) Three months is a long time to swap a part but, Ridgid did stand behind their product.