My newest challenge part 3-- The Box

Mike Mathieu

After finishing the cuts for the frame and making sure that everything goes together nicely I went to my local Woodcraft and found a real nice piece of 5/4 poplar to use for the sides of the project. All of the original pieces were a full 1” thick so I needed the 5/4 stock. The piece I found was 8 ft long and 15 ” wide with no knots or green streaks. A perfect find for this project. I needed 2 pieces 9 1/2” x 22” for the bottom sections and 2 pieces 9”x 21” for the top sections with the remaining pieces for the chutes 4 1/4” wide of various lengths . I used the router to make all of the rabbets that fit in the slots of the frame .

Dry fit of the lower sides
hockingvalleywip001.jpg

On the original corn sheller, the chutes were nailed in but I used dowels to make it easier for assembly.

hockingvalleywip002-1.jpg

I used the scroll saw to cut out the sections where the shafts go through,and the hole where the corn feeder goes on the top.

hockingvalleywip004.jpg

hockingvalleywip005.jpg

Checking out the fit of all the guts of the corn sheller.

hockingvalleywip006.jpg

All of the parts in place.

hockingvalleywip009-1.jpg

hockingvalleywip010-1.jpg

I had to order special square headed nuts and bolts to keep it original so in the mean time I will begin the paint job on the Hocking Valley Corn Sheller.

It's looking really good, Mike. It's probably going to turn out with better fit and finish that the original had.

Are you going to replicate the logos and gilding, too?

Thanks for the comments guys. This is turning out to be a fun project.
To Jim---I've been working on all of the original pin striping and paint and am working on the logos now. Definitely a challenge but just about got er done. Waiting on the bolts and flat head slotted screws. Had to order flat headed slotted screws. Go figure-- they don't carry them at the BORG.