It's another Friday

Don Baer

Staff member
Well another week has gone by and we have the weekend to thinks about. I'll be in the shop this week endI have all of my restorations caught up so I'll spent the week end on the commision. I got a tenetive date July 19th) for when the building will be buit so it's time I got serious about doing the bigger pieces. No races to watch so just shop time with church on sunday morn. So whatcha all got in the works ?

• Take the last of the junipers to the dump.
  • Pick up a truckload of bark for the now naked beds where the junipers used to live.
  • Finish up the base cab for my bathroom renovation. Mount the doors, sand, stain, finish, take pictures to prove I did it :rolleyes:
  • Make a solar heater for the pool out of PVC.
  • Take a hike in the hills with Starbuck.

A little more landscaping. LOML is off doing something with friends so progress in the shop is a given. I'm stalled on a couple things due to a repair delay but need a revised BS circle jig and a blank glued up for a table top. That ought to keep me busy.

My dad and I will be in our booth at an art show tomorrow all day...suppose to be 82 and sunny, but winds in the 15-25mph range. Glad we made some weights for the tent, I think we'll need them! Sunday, wife, kid and I are going to an equestrian grand prix at our friends farm...should be fun there too!

Need to go get a sheet of MDF and start the extension table replacement for the new saw. Needs to be longer. Will build a torsion box out of 1/2 MDF. Gotta mow and I need to blow all the pecan seed twirlies off the roof. If not, they pack up in the valleys and turn to mud when it rains. LOML will be out all day tomorrow. So that will slow me down since I'll have to keep up with the dogs and what they are doing. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Jim.

I will be barbecueing on the grill tomorrow for my daughters graduation party and then tearing out the old kitchen sunday morning!

Sorry for your loss Bob.

Lets see, need to start on the TV Stand. Change oil in all 3 vehicles, not sure how they all hit at once. Mow yard, work on yard at beauty shop. Pick up a beef we had butchered. Church, take daughter to work and pick up, both days. Dang I never should have post it all, now I don't want to start.

Don there is a race, you can watch it online tomorrow night. I think TNT will have it. Just go to nascar.com and find where. That's what I am going to do.

It's looking like a fine, long weekend. Trying to get the yard clean-up done and everything mowed. Then some small farm work, fencing and clean-out (visitors welcome, I have a spare pitchfork :D:D). Then it might be time to get those kayaks down from the third floor and rinse them off at the lake.
Have a good one!
Peter

I made one in California but instead of PVC I used the black 1/2 thin walled pipe thats used for drip systems. It worked rather well. I just coiled it up in 50 foot rolls.

That's what I made for my California pool, too. I used five 50 foot lengths, in flat coils, and a low volume pump to move the water. On a July summer day, the output water would be too hot to put your hands under - probably about 130° or more. Even on an overcast day I could get 100° out of it.

Well, I was gonna do more yardwork today, but woke up to a pouring rain - so I went to the shop instead. Did a 'between coats' sanding on a cabinet I'm building for my sister.

Then I changed the knives on my jointer. That took nine minuters, start to finish. Gotta love those Esta blades! :thumb::thumb:

PLEASE - post pics of this process!!

I made one in California but instead of PVC I used the black 1/2 thin walled pipe thats used for drip systems. It worked rather well. I just coiled it up in 50 foot rolls.

That's what I made for my California pool, too. I used five 50 foot lengths, in flat coils, and a low volume pump to move the water. On a July summer day, the output water would be too hot to put your hands under - probably about 130° or more. Even on an overcast day I could get 100° out of it.

Ok, I'll post it. I was going to use the 1/2 inch drip, but I've got critters around here that think that kind of pipe is a tasty snack. I'm always splicing the drip lines. We had a store bought pool heater that had mats of tubes running across, but it kept getting chewed.

I figure the PVC will be a little more resistant to being chewed on. Just going to paint it black and see how it goes.

The other thing I was concerned about was the flow rate, since I'll be using the filter pump to pump the water through. Our pool is just an above ground with 1 1/4" tubes, so I figure if I build the heater with a bunch of tees splitting off into the 1/2 inch lines, I can maintain a decent flow rate.

So far the plan is to have 6 tees feeding into 6 30' long 1/2" pvc pipe runs.

I'll start another thread on it.

BTW, IT's snowing out here and I just finished mowing and aerating the yard...

Yesterday (Friday) I did some yard work, lot more to do, stuff just keeps growing. :rolleyes: May do some mowing today. Also, yesterday, I started making those bottle stoppers I griped about. Today, I scoured the county for political signs for my defeated candidate. Pulled a bunch and have a truck load. Now, gotta dispose of them. Started turning the stoppers. Guess I will mow. Tomorrow, church, some shop time and start vegetating early.

...Our pool is just an above ground with 1 1/4" tubes, so I figure if I build the heater with a bunch of tees splitting off into the 1/2 inch lines, I can maintain a decent flow rate.

So far the plan is to have 6 tees feeding into 6 30' long 1/2" pvc pipe runs...

Yeah, six half inch pipes are just about the same internal area as one 1¼ incher. You don't want a fast flow, though. The water needs to flow slowly - not a lot more than a trickle - through the heater tubing. That's why I used a small external pump with mine. Flow was only about a couple gallons per minute through the tubing network.

Of course, if it's still snowing there, you'll need faster flow to keep the water from freezing!:rofl::rofl:

Of course, if it's still snowing there, you'll need faster flow to keep the water from freezing!:rofl::rofl:

It's bordering on ridiculous this year... The trees tried to leaf out, but the leaves got frozen and crumbled. Looks like it's happening again today, as the trees have been trying to leaf out again, and AGAIN it's getting down to freezing overnight!.. :eek:

Good thing I built the fireplace, cause we are using it in LATE MAY! :rolleyes:

Completed another area collecting info for the US Census, Transfered to another zone next week, Granddaughter Christening this weekend, catching up on yard chores in between. One would never know I was interested in WWing as I have no time but yet I can hope that all those project ideas will come true.