Soup anyone?

Caught this beast in the yard couple minute ago. Little too small for a soup turtle, probably make a fryer.

IMG_4021.jpg

steve check your local regs they have seasons and size limits up here now..used to be open all year long but not now, and they need to be 12" on the length if i remember correctly used to trap them for food for my family and friends

Larry, we have a season, but they are like coyotes. Nuisance animals, long as permission from landowner can be harvested. Seeing how it was in my yard, I gave myself permission:thumb:. Besides, I had to protect Elmo, he was in attack mode. I think the turtle would have won.

Better yet, I just checked the regs. Season has been removed and made year around. Daily bag limit, 25. What would anybody do with 25 of them at once?

Last edited:
we used to have alot of them steve, but they are thinner now. and 25 at one time the best i ever done was 13 in one day..you can clean them tillyur tired and let the rest wait till another day used to put them in a 50 gallon barrel and clean when i had time.. it used to go for ten dollars alb up here for the cleaned meat.. best part on them for me was the neck and under the back bone.:) best way i have had them is baked in a oven.. have had the stew and it was ok but had to many peas in it.. the bigest one i got was 27 lbs but have seen a 45 lb one when i was kid his head was the size of my fist today,, it was huge probally around a hundred yrs old.