Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese cherry bowl

Japanese cherry bowl

I finally got inspired after our monthly guild meeting to turn one of the larger chunks of that Japanese cherry that I recived. Stu I agree I love this wood as the colors and grain are stunning. Ok I tried something different in the design and look but this is what the bowl said to me ( if that makes any sence). I am not too sure that i should listen to the wood but I do. I am still not happy with the bases yet and when I get ( or make) a jumbo jaw set then I am hoping to re turn that foot off and finish it off. I just wanted to turn something before it dried out too much and cracked. I already lost one bowl that I rough turned to that already. This morning I see that it has already started to change shape so re-turning may not be an option again. Comments and opinions are always welcome as I don't learn nutin from silence.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Sorry forgot to upload the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guild meeting May 284.JPG   Guild meeting May 285.JPG   Guild meeting May 281.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Wonderful piece of wood Drew, stunning!

The shape is not one that I like to turn, but that being said, I know that others enjoy it, and the finish looks good

Keep them coming!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Wonderful piece of wood Drew, stunning!

The shape is not one that I like to turn, but that being said, I know that others enjoy it, and the finish looks good

Keep them coming!
    The finish is sanded to 600 grit wet & dry and then I used the buffer and wax finish from the bealle system. One of the fellows at the meeting suggested that I crank up the speed a bit on the buffer as I have been doing it at 1725 rpm as the system suggested I tries cranking it up to 2500-3500 rpm. Any advice or suggestions on that from those with more experience?

That piece of wood will make any shape look good IMHO Awesome wood and it sure does the turning well

real purty wood drew,, that would make some nice flat stuff if it hangs onto the red in it the bowl shape looks fine for a bowl ,, the finish appears to ideal..me not being a turner i assume you are talking about the pointed part as the foot that needs work yet..could do that by hand couldnt you then buff that part again???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Beautiful wood, finish and shape.
    Is that color normal or spalt?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

That's a sweet piece of wood Drew, and you did a great job on it. I'm kinda like Stu...the ogee profile on the sides and relatively flat bottom are not my favorites for bowl forms, but that's just a personal opinion. The shape you made, you made well. I agree with you that the foot could either go away or be reduced to nearly nothing. BTW, I'd suggest a donut chuck instead of jumbo jaws. The donut is more versatile for different shapes and also less likely to launch a bowl across the shop.

On the buffing question, the higher speeds might help on wood with no membrane finish (I don't know for certain), but in my experience I've seen tripoli or white diamond compound strip away varnish or lacquer finishes in a heartbeat when the wheels were running too fast. On the carnauba wheel, I think the faster speeds might help melt the wax into the wood a bit more, but here again, I'd be leery of doing it that fast over a membrane finish.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well I left the bowl all day while I cleaned and organized the shop ( added my old stereo system ) when I came in at the end of the day I was shocked to find that the bowl had done a bit of moving. I had not expected this much and am looking forward to seeing just how much it will change. I have had some bowls that i have done with Arbutus( madrona) change like this while drying but I had not expected it from this wood. I don't think I will be re-turning this bowl now.

Prior to doing the bowl and part of my motivation to get a jump on this was wood was due to the first bowl that I had rough turned had cracked lots. I turned it right away and I was able to salvage a small dish out of it. I left it leaning upside down on some books and forgot about it and was shocked to find this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cherry dish 002.JPG   cherry dish 003.JPG   cherry dish 004.JPG   Japanese cherry bowl 005.JPG   Japanese cherry bowl 008.JPG  

Drew, did that wood have shoes on it? It sure did a lot of traveling. Seeing how prone it is to move, I can see why the earlier attempts cracked. (I'm guessing the bowl you mentioned had thicker walls.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com