Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Maple question

Rock Maple question

I've just seen a web page that advertises and sells kitchen utensils made of Rock Maple, and they include the following explanation, I wonder how much of it is true.

"All of our kitchen utensils are made of Rock Maple which is the mineral section of the sugar tree grown here in Ontario, Canada. All of the dark lines and markings you see are actually minerals (rocks) embedded in the wood."

I know that one can find mineral deposits embedded in wood, I've found them myself in a couple of cases, but from that to what is stated there and the way it is said makes me think it is just selling mumbo jambo.
    Any hint will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Hi Toni, Just googled hard rock maple and this is what i came up with. Sounds like someone is feeding a line as to what the name means. I am sure that there could be minerals and stones growing up in tree's but it sure doesn't sound from this link that it has anything to do with the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_glabrum
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Toni, I agree with Drew. I think the web page you saw is low on facts and high on hype. As deep as they are spreading, um, stuff, you might need these:

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Drew, Vaughn, thanks for the comments, as I'm not that familiar with maple trees/wood I just wondered, even within my ignorance it did sound like a lie to me
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

the mineral they are talking about is nothing more than staining,, it has nothing to do witht he wood being harder toni. some exotics do have a lot of sand sucked up threw there roots and can be in the wood from that tree.. havnt had it myslef but have read where it was bad enough in some spices to cause fast dulling of tools and sometimes sparks.. now the sparks i would say is strechtun it..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Why thats just marketing... Stretching the truth. People buying a wooden spoon on the internet want a story more than the spoon i guess then the dummies can tell the story to someone else and start an urban legend.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Why thats just marketing... Stretching the truth.

Well Rob, to me that is far more than stretching the truth, and honestly I hate it for two basic reasons, first because it is not true, second because they assume that everybody is stupid enough to believe it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Well Rob, to me that is far more than stretching the truth, and honestly I hate it for two basic reasons, first because it is not true, second because they assume that everybody is stupid enough to believe it.
    I'm with you there Toni.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Noun1.rock maple - maple of eastern and central North America having three-lobed to five-lobed leaves and hard close-grained wood much used for cabinet work especially the curly-grained form; sap is chief source of maple syrup and maple sugar; many subspecies Acer saccharum, sugar maple
    maple - any of numerous trees or shrubs of the genus Acer bearing winged seeds in pairs; north temperate zone
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Their description of the maple they use is offbase. I took a look at their website and it looks like a husband and wife craft operation. They might seriously believe they are accurately describing the wood. Anyone contact them?

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem