Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype

In preparation for my son and his family moving to Australia for a year, I recently installed Skype on my computer.
    Yesterday a Logitech webcam I bought from Amazon arrived. Software installed and loaded smoothly.
    Everything worked fine. Only problem, I couldn't find the headset in the box and figured I had a problem. No. The mic is built into the webcam and the sound comes out of the computer speakers.
    Called my son, had a nice conversation, could see DIL and grands in background.
    This is truly a nice video cam and works very well. Calls are free. That's very good and will be nice for keeping in touch when all are as far away as Australia.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

We do the same with our family in Montana. Can chat with our nephews and see how much they are growing.

I've found with Skype I have to turn off the auto updates on it once it is working well. It seems like every couple of patch versions they put out breaks Skype for me, so when I find a working version, I stick with it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I've been using Skype for a lot of years now, and yes it is a wonderful program to be sure. We call our daughter in Canada twice a week, just to keep in contact, and so she can whinge to us in Japanese

We sure found a BIG improvement with the Mac, the built in cameras are way ahead of the OLD Logitech cameras we had.

The built in mic worked OK, but I found with a room with lots of ambient noise, like the L shop, fridges running etc, a stand alone mic was a lot better.

We also have bought Skype minutes, and boy have they come in handy, if I really need to call someone over seas, and they are not online, I can call them on their land line, or cell phone, and it cost only a few pennies a minute, and because I bought the Skype minutes, I can call 1-800 numbers for free in the US, this is great when I want to talk to customer service at some company.

All in all, a great product, and a fantastic price to be sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Actually, we used a webcam more than ten years ago. Our son and our DIL lived in Alaska when the twins were born. I were able to communicate and I could see my first grandchildren. Video and sound quality was lousy but better than not at all. The signal took 12 seconds each way and that made things difficult but we learned to pause and wait. I had dial-up internet service then. Skype is a huge improvement. My cell phone is not Skype capable and I'm not yet interested in entering the world of Blackberry's, Droids, etc. yet.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I had Skype on this machine, Acer, didn't like it. It would lock up the whole thing. Wife has it on her Dell and works fine. All in all a wonderful tool for those with separated loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    I had Skype on this machine, Acer, didn't like it. It would lock up the whole thing. Wife has it on her Dell and works fine. All in all a wonderful tool for those with separated loved ones.
    You might try an older version, sticking with major point releases (4.0, 4.1, 4.2, etc...) to see if one of the older versions work. Be sure to turn off the auto update option within Skype's settings.

try http://www.oldapps.com

It could also be a hardware driver conflict. I've ran into this and simply checked the manufacturer's site for hardware updates and installed the latest ones.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 05-25-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot link
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Might have to give that a try Darren. thanks

I have been using Skype for over 2 years now and I use it for all my long distance calls it only costs me $30 a year for 6 hr a day and I use it to talk to my friend in the UK Skype to Skype and it works very well I do have some dropouts but for what ya pay for it, its Great.

Hey Frank but me on you list.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    We use it to talk to my oldest son in North Carolina. That way we can see the grandkids and stay in touch.

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    I have been using Skype for over 2 years now and I use it for all my long distance calls it only costs me $30 a year for 6 hr a day and I use it to talk to my friend in the UK Skype to Skype and it works very well I do have some dropouts but for what ya pay for it, its Great.

Hey Frank but me on you list.
    Will do.

Cost?