I went through this thread again because I need another tool holder, for some reason I keep getting more and more tools.

Chuck that is a nice one you built. Got to ask, did you build that press just to make that tool holder or do you use it for other things, like segmented rings? Also, I love your tape holder. Got plans for that?

Paul,

The tool shelves hold 16 of the longer cutting tools. I figure I can get another 16, at least, shorter irons on the next shelf. I just got into segmented vessels and made the press for gluing up the rings. I got the tape holder in the last gift swap from Stephen Bellinger. He made it very stout which is good, because I’ve knocked it off the saw a dozen times or so.

Photo 1: The cart and new lathe had their christening list night. Man, that lathe throws chocolate chips all over the place!

Photo 2: Cart also makes a good hanger when the day is done.

Attachments

• Cart and Lathe christened.jpg
    Cart and Lathe christened.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 62
  • Cart in use.JPG
    Cart in use.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 70
Steve,

I use the tape dispenser almost daily. It is surprising the number of different uses for painters tape when you have it at your fingertips. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Dispenser Front.JPG
    Dispenser Front.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 52
Tape dispenser tip:

This what they do at work. The take a piece of the slicer that comes with Costco's Stretch-Tite and put it on the as a cutter for their tape dispensers. Works real slick.

Tape dispenser tip:

This what they do at work. The take a piece of the slicer that comes with Costco's Stretch-Tite and put it on the as a cutter for their tape dispensers. Works real slick.

I don't have access to the slicer for the stretch-tite, but I do have an old broken planer blade... If I can cut it successfully to the right length and drill it for the screw holes that would work great as a tape cutter.

I don't have a good shot of my tool rack... because I use two lathes, I have mine on wheels to roll around if need be... mostly it sits at the junction of the two lathes with the points up... so I can see what tool I'm reaching for...but have to be really careful reaching over some of the sharp edges...

I do like Chuck's lazy suzan style... would be a lot less dangerous than mine.

Attachments

• shop 018.JPG
    shop 018.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 51
Well all this talk about storing your lathe tools got me started. Here is where I have stored my lathe tools for the last 10 years or so, of course they were only used once or twice in those 10 years.

IMG_0002s.JPG

Then I turned a pen or two and some wooden plugs for the RV and started storing them here.
IMG_0004s.JPG

Well this thread got me wanting something better and less wasteful of space as well as safer for me and the tools, so I did this today.
IMG_0005s.JPGIMG_0006s.JPG

When I was done I thought I had really messed up because I hadn't considered converting to the drill press mode, but there is enough room. Lucky not good! As of now the PVC pipe is only attached at the top but if this proves not stable enough then the pipes are already drilled on the bottom so I will add screws there. Some of the tools the handles are heaver than the tools. The only disadvantage I see as of now is there is no way to see which tool is which when you are at the turning position. May have to mark the handles with an icon, the tools do stick put the bottom but are to low to see.

Last edited:
Gary, you have me thinking, I have access to one of those stacked tool chests that roll around. The kind mechanic use. That would make a great storage/tool holder. Hummm, maybe I should pick it up.

Last edited:
That looks like it'll work just fine, Garry. :thumb: My tool rack also doesn't let me see the ends of the tools easily, but it didn't take me long to remember what tool was in what tube. It doesn't really matter what order they are in, as long as you're consistent about putting them away in the same place each time. Before long, you'll just automatically know what tools are where.

That's a great setup, George. :thumb: You can keep a lot of essentials close at hand. I also see you've got a bottle stopper blank ready to give that little lathe of yours a workout. :p