Hand Plane Giveaway! We Have a Winner!

Would you like to enter the hand plane drawing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Sports Fans, it's time to give some stuff away!

At the Tour de Wood meet-up at my house, Dan Gonzales generously donated two hand planes to the forum, asking that we give them away to a forum member who could put them to use.

This giveaway includes a Stanley Handyman #5 plane, and a Fulton #4 plane. Although this collection isn't likely to set any sales records on eBay, both planes are serviceable starter planes for someone who's wanting to learn to how to set up and use hand planes. Both are in need of some cleanup and fettling. They have minor surface rust, and I suspect the irons are in need of a proper honing. (To sweeten the deal a bit, I'll give them a quick honing on my Tormek, but the lucky winner will likely want to do more once they receive them.) Dan got these as project planes, but didn't get around to fixing them up before he found other projects that were more compelling. Instead of having them collect dust in his shop, he wanted someone else to have the opportunity to learn from them and use them. (They might also be handy as "loaner planes" for someone who already has a complete set of Stanley Bedrocks in the till.)

As with our previous forum giveaways, here are the basic rules:

1. Our giveaways are "opt in" affairs. Only the members who enter the drawing by answering to that effect in the poll are eligible to win. The poll will be open for a week, and a numbered list will be made of the entrants. We'll use www.random.org to pick the winning number.

2. Family Woodworking Staff members are ineligible. Sorry Brent. :p

3. You must enter to win. If you accidentally voted "No Thanks" or change your mind, send me a PM and I'll get you moved to the right list. This is a new drawing...if you entered another drawing you will not be included in this one unless you enter it.

4. The drawing will be done using a computer-generated random number. That number will be matched to the corresponding entry number. In other words, if 100 people enter the drawing, the number generator will pick a number between 1 and 100.

5. The drawing will be done at (or somewhere shortly after) 5:00 PM Pacific time on Friday, June 4th. The winner will be notified via e-mail and PM, and will have 48 hours to claim the prize. If it remains unclaimed, it's back to the random number picker to find another name. Once the winner is confirmed, the prize will be sent to the address the winner specifies.

Show them what there's gonna win, Bob...

Family Woodworking Plane Giveaway 01 - 800.jpg Family Woodworking Plane Giveaway 02 - 800.jpg Family Woodworking Plane Giveaway 03 - 800.jpg Family Woodworking Plane Giveaway 04 - 800.jpg

Good luck to all, and many thanks to Dan Gonzales for the generous donation. And stay tuned, there's at least one more giveaway coming up soon. ;)

Brent dont feel bad by including you i got lumped in as well. Stopped me from even attempting to push the vote button :D Would not have minded going into the draw for these. I dont care about the name on a plane, they all do the same thing and if one is prepared tune em up they all have the same cutting angle etc and will cut wood and at this price they are a real steal.

Dan and Vaughn, thanks for putting this together for the members. At this time I voted no thanks because I have fought with my hand planes and then I found one with a tail!!!! Dare I say I really like electric hand planes!?

just to clear things up,, i voted before i read the whole story,, saw plane giveaway and posted like it was ebay auction:D then i read the rest of it and saw i was excluded so to clear things up i have asked vaughn to coorect my mistake and to let you folks know i am not in it....so brent or frank dont go reporting me to the police for a infraction:) i have already paid my fine...i have a reciept to prove it:D

Good Luck and Thanks Dan !

I opted out this time since I have a bunch of planes I don't use often enough as it is. I hope the winner can use and enjoy them.

And a big THANKS to Dan for the thoughtful and generous donation.:thumb:

Well, I don't have a lot of experience with planes, but what little I've had, I've thoroughly enjoyed.

And I'm pleased to say that though there may be a long list of skills I don't have, one thing I can do is sharpen.

I'd get a kick out of putting those two back in working order.

I was thinking that very thing, until I saw Brent's post on page 2. Besides, I should tread softly on encouraging new hobbies. I think he has a few to play with from my dad's collection, anyway:wave::eek:.

I'll take that as no dear I'm not getting you any new toys.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I have a shelf full of planes so I passed. Thanks for the offer Dan:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Shoot Brent we would even feed ya, make sure you are well watered, and let you curl up with Thor for the night.
Now I can tell ya we don't just feed anyone and let them sleep with the dogs.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

bucky might get jealous but you are missun out brent if you dont ttake him up on his offer.. he feeds real well and you wont be thirsty either and thor is a sweatheart.. yu really should go meet him:)!!!1