Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Sharpening Station and Turning Tool Storage

My Sharpening Station and Turning Tool Storage

One of the bonus aspects of having the Tour de Wood come by my house was the fact that I was finally motivated to organize a few things in my shop. I figured I'd show you all my sharpening setup and some of my lathe tool storage.

This is all directly behind me when I'm standing at my lathe, so it's all very convenient when I'm turning.

Here's how it looks most of the time. The shower curtain keeps the wood chips out (for the most part):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharpening Station 01 - 800.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	45846 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharpening Station 02 - 800.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	45847

Pull back the curtain, and here's the stuff. I've got the Tormek wet grinder and the Woodcraft show speed dry grinder with the PSI knockoff of the Wolverine jig. I have the parts to set up the dry grinder to use the Tormek jigs, but so far haven't had a pressing need to get it all set up. (It's on the list, though.)

Name:	Sharpening Station 03 - 800.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	45848 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharpening Station 04 - 800.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	45849

The built-in drawers were installed by the previous owners of our house. The shallow drawers hold turning tools, woodburning pens, Dremel bits and pieces, and assorted sharpening gear, and the deeper drawers (an old green-painted dresser that's been attached to the wall) store various wood cutoffs:

Name:	Sharpening Station 05 - 800.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	45850 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharpening Station 06 - 800.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	45851

Here's another shot showing the whole shebang. The sheet sandpaper storage is on the shelf above the clock (in an old sandpaper display from a hardware store), and the two white plastic drawers to the left of the Tormek hold smaller pieces of sheet sandpaper and the various jigs for the Tormek. The blue and red drawer cabinets hold sanding disks:

Name:	Sharpening Station 07 - 800.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	45852

For some unknown reason, the red cabinet holds my blue sanding disks (from Vince's Wood-n-Wonders...highly recommended) and the blue cabinet holds my gold 'wave' disks. Interface pads and other related abrasives take up the spare drawers:

Name:	Sharpening Station 08 - 800.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	45853

And one more shot of the grinders, to point out the USPS Priority Mail box covering the window:

Name:	Sharpening Station 09 - 800.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	45854

The box is covering the hole in the window that is the result of shooting a piece of wood through it (before I added the curtain). Perfect size for a 5" or 6" DC exhaust duct, but I suspect the neighbors might not like the idea.

Name:	Donut Chuck 2 800.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	45855
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great sharpening set up Vaughn. As usual in this pictures one spots the what Glenn calls "Easter Eggs" in the shot. To me that clock of yours is the crown jewels.

As to the hole in the window well i thought it was destined for a window mounted extractor fan. That would soon have the dust flowing away from you while sharpening.

I really like the Tromek, i think for pros like you in spinny land its a worthwhile buy but gee its a high priced item. Where is all the real cost in this item. At the end of the day its only a stone wheel and motor.

Seeing your draws reminds me once again of the value of shallow draws for tools. This is a hot button reminder once again for me to retrofit my draw cabinets. Could probably consolidate two large draw sets into one if i changed draw depth and got rid of clutter.

Great area you set aside there Vaughn, real handy to have it behind you at the lathe. Sure makes for no excuse to be caught turning with a blunt tool.
    cheers

Good set-up, Vaughn. Looks compact and handy. But, I tried the shower curtain thing and it proved (for me) to be a worse hassle than the dust.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Must be nice to have one place dedicated for that. All this talk of organizing and re-arranging shops is starting to make me feel all inspired to do something about it one of these years...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Good set-up, Vaughn. Looks compact and handy. But, I tried the shower curtain thing and it proved (for me) to be a worse hassle than the dust.
    Before I put up the curtain, it wasn't the dust that was a problem, it was the long wet curlies that were a pain to clean up. Here's an example, before things got too piled up.

Name:	Tormek Test - 003.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	45863

With careful aim, I can shoot curlies over my shoulder and out the hole in the window.

workingwoods.com

So where does that window with the hole lead to?

Outside?

Is it made out of plastic? Just wondering why the whole thing didn't shatter..

Questions, Questions...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

It goes outside, by the side of the garage. The window's glass...just a lucky shot, I guess. (The piece that went through it was a round disk...the cut-out center of a donut chuck I was making. I failed to use the tailstock to hold the middle as I was cutting the hole out of the donut.)

workingwoods.com

Nice set up, I love my tormek
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Great Sharpening Area

Hey Vaughn,
    What a great area, I bought a Jet sharpener and 3 sets of their optional drawers that are made for the Jet sharpener. I used 2 sets of drawers for the sharpener and I mounted my grinder on the third set of drawers. It works out pretty good but it is not nearly as nice as your setup. I chose the Jet sharpener for 2 reasons, first because I already have some Jet tools and it will match my other tools and the other reason is, it doesn't matter how sharp or dull my tools are it doesn't improve my skills. Great job Vaughn, Joe
    ICEJJ1

Vaughn i have followed over time the fact that you have a Tormek grinder.

Seeing it in this picture reminded me to ask the question of you as to whether in hindsite you believe its worth the cost of them nowadays.

Also i see other manufacturers produce "pirate" units. What would the difference be between the Tormek and something like this Griz unit

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/192 There is even a 8" one for under $100.

There has got to be something fundamentally wrong or different about these units compared to the Tormek but on the marketing surface i cannot see it. Tormek is over $500 US and in Canada well wont go there.

Any comments?
    cheers