Thread: River over a River

River over a River

Even after you see it, it is still hard to believe!
    Water Bridge in Germany . What a feat!
    Six years, 500 million euros, 918 meters long........now this is engineering!
    This is a channel-bridge over the River Elbe and joins the former East and West Germany,
    as part of the unification project. It is located in the city of Magdeburg , near Berlin.

The photo was taken on the day of inauguration.

To those who appreciate engineering projects, here's a puzzle for you armchair engineers and physicists.

Did the bridge have to be designed to withstand the additional weight of ship and barge traffic, or just the weight of the water?

Answer:
    It only needs to be designed to withstand the weight of the water!
    Why? A ship always displaces an amount of water that weighs the same as the ship, regardless of how heavily a ship may be loaded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image11111.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	45865
    Jesus was a Woodworker

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    It only needs to be designed to withstand the weight of the water!
    Why? A ship always displaces an amount of water that weighs the same as the ship, regardless of how heavily a ship may be loaded.
    Thats why it's called displacement..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Wouldn't a stop light have been easier

What - no cloverleaf ?

How they gonna get from one to the other?

Silly Germans . . .

Jim

PS: My fathers ancestors came from Germany some time ago. I'm just mad that I didn't receive any of those "jolly" German genes (think of happy German's swilling beer at Octoberfest with oom-pah-pah music in the background).

PS: My fathers ancestors came from Germany some time ago. I'm just mad that I didn't receive any of those "jolly" German genes (think of happy German's swilling beer at Octoberfest with oom-pah-pah music in the background).

Ya don't need specific genes to have a good time. Work with what yer given!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    I'm afraid I've got too many of the jolly genes from my mix of German, English, and Irish heritage....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Very cool, Dan. That had to have been some amazing concrete work.

On a related science/engineering quiz topic:

Q: What will compact soil fill more, an empty Cat 970 front end loader, or the same loader with a full bucketload of dirt?

A: Neither. They will both be exerting the same downward force, equal to the PSI of air in the tires. Any other weight will be distributed sideways through the sidewalls of the tires.

And a similar question:

Q: What will compact soil fill more, a big Cat 970 front end loader with a full bucketload of dirt, or a little Bobcat 863 with no dirt in the bucket?

A: The Bobcat, since its tires are inflated to about 100 PSI vs. the 30 PSI or so in the Cat tires. I've demonstrated both of these examples to contractors before (back when I worked with the instrumentation to prove to them how compacted the soil was) and they still didn't believe it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Back a couple of decades ago when I lived in NJ I used to like to canoe the Delaware & Raritan canal. It had an aqueduct over the Millstone River near Princeton. Built in the mid 1800's, it is still in use and a real kick to paddle over.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR Millstone.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	45869
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very cool, Dan. That had to have been some amazing concrete work.

On a related science/engineering quiz topic:

Q: What will compact soil fill more, an empty Cat 970 front end loader, or the same loader with a full bucketload of dirt?

A: Neither. They will both be exerting the same downward force, equal to the PSI of air in the tires. Any other weight will be distributed sideways through the sidewalls of the tires.

And a similar question:

Q: What will compact soil fill more, a big Cat 970 front end loader with a full bucketload of dirt, or a little Bobcat 863 with no dirt in the bucket?

A: The Bobcat, since its tires are inflated to about 100 PSI vs. the 30 PSI or so in the Cat tires. I've demonstrated both of these examples to contractors before (back when I worked with the instrumentation to prove to them how compacted the soil was) and they still didn't believe it.
    Now you brought back old memory's. I had to learn all that stuff, when building runways in the AF. The best, longest, drunkin 3 years of my life.