spalted beech

Here's the first hollow form i made using the new tool.it's spalted beech and is 4 1/4 tall x 6 wide. See larry i new i could find that on and off switch.:rofl: hope ya like, all comments more than welcome good or bad.
Steve

Attachments

• 009 [800x600].JPG
    009 [800x600].JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 007 [800x600].JPG
    007 [800x600].JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 45
Yep I like it. Really nice form. What kind of finish did you use? Well done for a first with a new tool.

It has 3 coats of laquar knocked down between coats on the lathe, with 800 wet or dry paper, then just paste finishing wax rubbed on and buffed again on the lathe. don't have a buffing system yet but it is on the top of my list of want's.:)

yup i think you got it steve:):thumb::thumb: thats hollow right not just an optical illusion those southern folk use on us yanks:) nice first piece on the real hollowing stuff..

Great looking turning - nice and delicate but as Tom stated the small foot will have you be very careful as to where you set it.

I liked the upper 3/4 of the shape but the base just did not work for me. I didn't like the slight flare at the botom. I would have liked a continuous inner curve. I think the base is a bit out of proportion compared to the rest of the piece. Maybe you realized that and that is why you gave the base that flare.

Man, you sure didn't waste any time getting the new tool dirty. :) Was it easier or harder to use than you expected?

That's a sweet piece of wood, and I think you did a very nice job with it. :thumb: I agree with Mohammad's comments about the very slight flare at the bottom and I also think the foot could be just a bit larger. Still, you get extra credit (at least from me) for doing a small foot in the first place...I think I'd rather see a foot that's too small than one that's too big.

All in all, you done great. :clap:

yup i think you got it steve:):thumb::thumb: thats hollow right not just an optical illusion those southern folk use on us yanks:) nice first piece on the real hollowing stuff..
Yea Larry that's hollow.:D remember i was a yank growing up all my life, so no optical illusion there. just got married to one of these southern girls.;)

Very nice, you gave it a delicate appearance with the small foot. The various grain variations show nicely also. :thumb:
thanks Frank.

Great looking form. However with that small foot you will really need to be careful where it sits. Nice looking piece.

Tom
Tom it seems to sit all right even next to the front door.

Great looking turning - nice and delicate but as Tom stated the small foot will have you be very careful as to where you set it.
thanks Glen

Beautifull piece :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Ken

I liked the upper 3/4 of the shape but the base just did not work for me. I didn't like the slight flare at the botom. I would have liked a continuous inner curve. I think the base is a bit out of proportion compared to the rest of the piece. Maybe you realized that and that is why you gave the base that flare.
Thanks Mohammad. that's the sort of critique i was looking for. The reason the foot is that way was becouse i thought it might not hold up with that big void coming through the bottom. also didn't look that noticeable till i took it off the lathe.:eek:

Man, you sure didn't waste any time getting the new tool dirty. :) Was it easier or harder to use than you expected?

That's a sweet piece of wood, and I think you did a very nice job with it. :thumb: I agree with Mohammad's comments about the very slight flare at the bottom and I also think the foot could be just a bit larger. Still, you get extra credit (at least from me) for doing a small foot in the first place...I think I'd rather see a foot that's too small than one that's too big.

All in all, you done great. :clap:
Been dying to get it dirty since i got it.:) as far as using it i think it was what i was expecting. all in all i think it is a good tool at least for me. The only thing i wish i had done differently would of been to get the smaller version, as with the stuff i like to do don't need a very large opening. with this verison i think the smallest i can go is 1 1/4". O well gives me a reason to get the other one.:D

That's a great piece Stephen!!! Not being on that level yet, the only thing that popped out was the small base. Other than that...hard to follow that act. :bow:

Well done Mohammad, i aint got that sort of eye but you got me going back to pause and study the picture in greater depth. Then i noticed your observation and you make a very good point. Stephen great that you acknowledged the feedback.:thumb: This can only help kick it up a notch. :)

That's a great piece Stephen!!! Not being on that level yet, the only thing that popped out was the small base. Other than that...hard to follow that act. :bow:
Thanks Jim.

Well done Mohammad, i aint got that sort of eye but you got me going back to pause and study the picture in greater depth. Then i noticed your observation and you make a very good point. Stephen great that you acknowledged the feedback.:thumb: This can only help kick it up a notch. :)
Rob people like Mohommad and a slew of others are the reason i think i'm getting to the rookie stage and finilly leaving the newby stage. one of these days i'll move to the next stage but it will be awhile.
Steve

Nice job! I have heard beech is a beech to work with. It likes to warp and go crazy when it dries. Any words of wisdom?

I have a lot of beech on my property. There has been a disease going through the area and some of my trees have it. It is worthless as saw logs - about 1/6 the price of hard maple, so when I had my dad thin my property a few years ago, they left the beech. It was worth more as firewood than logs. Now that I am getting into turning, maybe it is useful.

Nice job! I have heard beech is a beech to work with. It likes to warp and go crazy when it dries. Any words of wisdom?

I have a lot of beech on my property. There has been a disease going through the area and some of my trees have it. It is worthless as saw logs - about 1/6 the price of hard maple, so when I had my dad thin my property a few years ago, they left the beech. It was worth more as firewood than logs. Now that I am getting into turning, maybe it is useful.

Rich when i first got this beech all my pieces warped real bad. ofcorse i was expecting this, so i would ruff turn them soak in dna let sit about a month then finish turning. That was about a year ago so these new ones have been drying out for about that long. Did take the time to run these blanks through the microwave a couple cycles just to be safe. I really like beech when it's spalting, easy to turn and sands real well.

Stephen, beautiful. :thumb: I agree with a few others about he flare at the base, but I'm guessing the bark inclusion at the base had something to do with it? Well Done :thumb:

Stephen, beautiful. :thumb: I agree with a few others about he flare at the base, but I'm guessing the bark inclusion at the base had something to do with it? Well Done :thumb:
yep the inclusion had every thing to do with it.:( thanks.

Very nice piece. I will agree with the others that the base is a little small. I never seem to be able to turn something with a small base. :D
thanks Wayne. probably should of made it bigger but didn't want that hole in the base.:eek: