A couple mulberry burl bowls

Nathan Hawkes

Just a couple bowls I finished a while back. I thought I'd lost the pictures, and since I don't have the bowls anymore, thought they were gone forever. Enjoy. Both are less than 1/4" thick, sanded to 600, then finished with multiple coats antique oil varnish, buffed with 3M white synthetic steel wool.

4.5" dia. by 3" deep.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

8" dia. by 5" deep.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mulberry burl bowl.jpg
    mulberry burl bowl.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 74
  • mulberry burl bowl view 2.jpg
    mulberry burl bowl view 2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 74
  • mulberry burl bowl view 3.jpg
    mulberry burl bowl view 3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 74
  • mulberry bowl.jpg
    mulberry bowl.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 74
  • mulberry natural edge.jpg
    mulberry natural edge.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 74
  • mulberry natural edge 2.jpg
    mulberry natural edge 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for the compliments folks. The foot on the smaller bowl is a rarity for me. I've probably made less than 10 bowls with defined bases, and half of those were because the bowl was too thin to remove the tenon. Both here and on another forum, I've gotten compliments on the footed bowl. It was a present to an artist friend, who absolutely loved it, so its good to hear it from other people too. Thanks guys.

Beautiful bowls out of beautiful wood. Mulberry trees are considered garbage around my parts. I've made pens with the wood and they turn out nice. But WOW those bowls are beautiful! The biggest problem with the trees is the birds eat the berries and the result is a big mess on peoples' cars!

Beautiful bowls out of beautiful wood. Mulberry trees are considered garbage around my parts. I've made pens with the wood and they turn out nice. But WOW those bowls are beautiful! The biggest problem with the trees is the birds eat the berries and the result is a big mess on peoples' cars!

I feel your pain. We have dogwoods everywhere around here whose berries ends up in the same place. I can't imagine them being garbage; mulberry makes wonderful firewood when if you don't turn it. It burns very very hot, but it pops quite a bit, so must be used with caution and only in a woodstove. Open it up too quick or stir it up and you'll only make that mistake once. SPARKY! I've seen a lot of larger Mulberries with lots of small burls on them; good turning wood! It really turns beautifully green, this was sitting in the corner sealed up for a few years, and was very hard.