Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Backyard Rink...

My Backyard Rink...

(Not exactly Fine Woodworking, but quick, easy, and loads of fun!)

A Recipe For Winter Fun
    Ingredients

1. One backyard. Flatness is more important than size.
    2. Cold Winter weather. Several nights of -10c are best.
    3. A bunch of 2x8 (or 2x6 or 2x10) boards
    4. One large tarpaulin. (Or some heavy plastic.)
    5. Water. Plenty of it.
    6. The means to restrain impatient kids for a few days while it freezes.

Mix Well. Wait 3-5 days, depending on how cold things are.
    Add some skates, serve to your kids, and enjoy.

I picked up eight 2x8x8' boards, and two 2x8x10' boards to frame my rink. This gave us a rink of about 14x26'. This is a bit on the small side for adults, but big enough for kids. It is also the largest that I could fit in the flat part of my backyard.

The first time you fill it, it'll probably take a few days to freeze solid, unless it is exceptionally cold. Two-three inches of water is a lot to freeze. After that, we just kept spraying on a thin later of water each night. We want to build it up to a good 4" thick or more, to help it last as long as possible. Remember to bring your hose inside so it doesn't freeze!!

More info and photos Here

Attachment 4100
    Attachment 4101

Art.

Thank you so much for the trip down memory lane.

When I was but a tot, my family lived in Calgary, AB and Edmonton, AB for a few years. My father built a rink for us each winter and I learned to skate and play hockey on those backyard playgrounds. Great fun.

I also remember the grade schools that did much the same thing on a much larger scale...the spring time sports field was turned into a ice rink that we enjoyed on breaks from learning how to write with those pens you had to dip into the ink well.

Thank you.

Doug

Art,

Where's the Zamboni? (bet you're surprised a Texan even knows what one is)

Art,

I had almost forgotten these things exist. When I was a little tyke in NJ our local volunteer fire department used to make one every winter behind the fire house - had to be over 100' long! (no shortage of water or hoses to fill it with )
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

I tried my darndest to play hockey, there was a big barn in the area that the owner would flood for us kids to play hockey in....since I couldn't skate very well (actually it was probably nonexistant)I tried to be a goalie....wasn't very good so I stuck with Football and Basketball.

Bet the kids love it Art.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

I remember the park district did the same thing by the grade school when I was a child. Somedays I wish we could go back to that time, knowing what I know now. That would be cool, I will keep thinking on it.

Memories

Remembering freezing the butt off to make rinks for the kids 20 years ago. And also that I could use it as well. Funny looking hockey stick on the ice there
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Flore View Post
    Funny looking hockey stick on the ice there
    Marty
    Really? I dunno, with a hole saw I think it'd make a pretty challenging putting "green", don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold View Post
    Art,

Where's the Zamboni? (bet you're surprised a Texan even knows what one is)
    I was not surprised. I have a snowmobiling friend that lives in Huston. Yes Huston Texas. He has a camp in Jackman, Maine and gets more sledding miles in a year than I do. When you ask him about his mileage he'll say

"About 3200 miles on the sled and 27,000 on the Cesna," as he owns his own plane.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Steve Ash said:
    I tried my darndest to play hockey, there was a big barn in the area that the owner would flood for us kids to play hockey in....since I couldn't skate very well (actually it was probably nonexistant)I tried to be a goalie....wasn't very good so I stuck with Football and Basketball.
    I'm not a good skater, either. Try broomball - that's a lot of fun, and you don't need skates.

Cheers,

Kevin