Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not to sure about this

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

not to sure about this

This was a very plain piece of beech so i thought i'd try something different. it's dyed black with ink, then shellec, finilly waxed. still wasn't to sure i liked it so i made the holly final to go with it. all comments welcome as always.

A nice interesting piece. Getting it black using ink creates possibilities with other plain woods.

Delton, Michigan
    well its pretty evident steve you like your new tool that holly finale is just what that needed in my eyes/ the only thing i would say is can you see the beech grain at all in the piece? in the picture its just black and shinny..but i like the shape and the total look of it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

ABQ NM
    Uh-oh, you've started down the slippery slope of dying turned pieces. I really like the black and white combo in this one.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Ebony and ivory beauty. Form is elegant. Ye dun gud.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

DSM, IA
    Living in perfect harmony if you as me! Well Done.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Tampa & NC

Not sure about this

Whats not to be sure of,as it sure is purty

Goodland, Kansas
    Don't know what's not to like about that piece. Form, finish and contrasting woods look mighty fine to me.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You took a plain piece of wood and made it stunning. Whats not to like? well done.

Tokyo Japan
    Stephen, I think that is a really cool piece, I like it very much!

I do have a couple of comments.....

Attachment 45924

I added some arrows and numbers to your picture:

Your finale is nice, but I really think that top part, #1 looks unfinished

The part I labeled #2 is spot on, very nice shape and curve, way better than mine turn out

#3 may very well just be the picture, but it sort of looks like a bump or ridge at that point, not a smooth transition from the top curve to the bottom curve Like I said, it could just be the way the light is bouncing off the black surface.

All in all, that is a very nice piece, keep them coming, and keep experimenting with the dye, I think that is such a cool way to add to pieces that the wood is kind of muted.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope my comments have helped.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward