How do I put this, I am a moron...

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, some of you may recall that I had posted a thread a while ago about a mountain bike I put a little gas engine on. Motorized Mountain Bike

So yesterday, I took it for a little ride. Put a smile on my face the entire time. Waved to the neighbors, had a blast. Going downhill I could get it up to around 30mph, on flat ground about 25. What a hoot!

Today, thought I would do the same thing. Unfortunately, about 3/4 of the way through, I thought I'd turn my head around to see if anything was behind me. As I did that, I involuntarily turned the bike to the right. By the time I was looking forward again, I was headed right into the ditch! :eek: I managed to pull out of the ditch and back on the road, but started oscillating back and forth violenty until the front wheel went 90 degrees to the left and I managed to launch my self down the gravel road at about 20 mph... :D

I was still a mile from home, but managed to get the bike started again and road back to the driveway.

Lets just put it this way, I've got large patches of skin all scraped up on the right side of my body, some large bruises, and my shoulder aint much good right now.

fortunately nothing serious. Not my first time to have flown down a gravel road sans transportation, but hopefully my last. When I was 18, I managed to fall of the back of a motorcycle and get my entire back chewed up.

Oh well, Lesson learned! Doubt I'll get much shop time in tomorrow. I hope there are some good marathons on TV... :D

Remember Safety First :thumb: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

attachment.php

Attachments

• OshaBicycle.jpg
    OshaBicycle.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 164
I hope you didn't get hurt to much & recover quickly.

I would like to suggest the you were more off than moron.:):D:wave:

How far off is yet to be determined.:D:rofl:

I've been there 3 times more off a motorcycle, not high speed just 25-30 MPH hitting something slick or gravel. But off is still off welcome to the group.:D:thumb:

Last edited:
Hah! Well, feeling pretty beat up today. Think I might go to the doc tomorrow and get things checked out. Thanks for the laughs guys!

You may want to consider investing in a good set of disc brakes if you're going to be putting an engine on your bicycle. Caliper brakes are extremely prone to fade, and, used in conjunction with an engine, will rapidly wear through the rims of your wheels. If you've never had a rim failure...well, let's just say it's not pleasant. Mechanical disc brakes aren't bad and generally require a lot less maintenance, but I'd definitely be a bit nervous about having one of them fail.

Also, if you, like me, are a safety weenie, it's possible to leave on your caliper brakes in case of emergencies.