How do I put this, I am a moron...

You may want to consider investing in a good set of disc brakes if you're going to be putting an engine on your bicycle. Caliper brakes are extremely prone to fade, and, used in conjunction with an engine, will rapidly wear through the rims of your wheels. If you've never had a rim failure...well, let's just say it's not pleasant. Mechanical disc brakes aren't bad and generally require a lot less maintenance, but I'd definitely be a bit nervous about having one of them fail.

Also, if you, like me, are a safety weenie, it's possible to leave on your caliper brakes in case of emergencies.

Disc brakes are way cool, but they mean a new bike, you cannot add them to an old bike, they need stays welded onto the forks and the frame, as well as different hubs, which means new wheels etc, all of which cost money, which I don't think will fly in this case.

Brent could just slow down a bit, and learn to ride that bike :D

Disc brakes are way cool, but they mean a new bike, you cannot add them to an old bike, they need stays welded onto the forks and the frame, as well as different hubs, which means new wheels etc, all of which cost money, which I don't think will fly in this case.

Brent could just slow down a bit, and learn to ride that bike :D

You're right about the hubs. However, if you're handy, it is possible to braze a set of caliper mounts onto a preexisting frame.

If you want to REALLY cook, I'd suggest converting to an electric setup. Aside from being a lot less hassle, the failure modes of an in-wheel motor are generally a whole lot safer than those of gasoline-based setup - for example, chain failure can result in the seizing of the rear wheel, a total lack of control, and major leg lacerations. Also, there are far fewer regulations on electric bicycles than there are on their petrol-powered equivalents - you can have a huge amount of power while still, legally, avoiding all laws whatsoever. :D

Where I live, there are few regulations, and fewer options to run into the police... This was just me, being stupid. But, And I have to stress this, it was fun, still is fun, and I will bet back on this horse one of these days...

maybe some training wheels till you get a little better balanced at it.
youre a good guy, wouldnt want you to get hurt.

when I was 13/14 I had a little stellar framed mini bike with a tecumsah or briggs stratton 3.5 horsepower gas motor on it.
I grew up near land fill land, 1000s of acres of it near the water, so there were hundreds of trails out there to ride.
One day while watching the bigger boys on their Kawasaki and Honda dirt bikes jumping off this small hill, maybe 6 feet high, I decided to do the jump with my stellar.
Well, I landed in the sand and it was like I landed on glue, I didnt move. My body went foward, the bike stood still. I bent the front of the frame, and the foot rest, with no cap on it, dug a nice gash into my foot below my ankle, where I still have a scar today.
Dont know why your story reminded me of that.

Last edited:
Great story Allen! I was much dumber as a young kid and have many stories of doing stupid things. Jumping my stingray bike, falling off of motorcycles, jumping off roofs...

This, however was a big awakening to me as to how much differently a body can take damage when you aren't a teenager....

brent, not sure what you mean by stingray bike, but I had one of those bicycles with the long banana seat, the 6 foot back rest, the high handle bars, and best of all, the stick shift in the middle with 5 gears and a nice round blue pearl handle on the stick. I drove around that bicycle , must have been 10 or 11, like I was the leader of the pack, then one day while jumping over ramps with it, I realized that high stick shifts on bikes are not good when doing tricks.
Wosrt part was I was doing it in front of all the girls at school, and when that stick hit home, it really hit home. I had to peddle 3 blocks so I could breath and cry at the same time.

If you want to REALLY cook, I'd suggest converting to an electric setup. Aside from being a lot less hassle, the failure modes of an in-wheel motor are generally a whole lot safer than those of gasoline-based setup - for example, chain failure can result in the seizing of the rear wheel, a total lack of control, and major leg lacerations. Also, there are far fewer regulations on electric bicycles than there are on their petrol-powered equivalents - you can have a huge amount of power while still, legally, avoiding all laws whatsoever. :D

My son, normally a very level headed guy, has an electric bike. He is an obsessed greenie. Enneyhow, he claims he likes it but rarely rides. Top speed is 20 mph and limited range. Completely wuthluss IMHO. But he won't admit that. How do you fill up a dead battery out in the middle of nowhere?

Reminds me of the time my son was buying a dirt bike. After he test drove it I took it out for a spin. No keep one thing in mind this was a dirt bike not a street bike so it had dirt tires. I was in a parking lot and I hit a patch of oil and me and the bike went down. My car keys were in my pocket and when I landed they dug a hole in my posterier, It wouldn't quite bleeding so I went tothe ER. While the doc was stitching me up he asked if I was wearing a helmet. I asked him what good a helmet would have done on my butt...:rolleyes:

So what did the doctor say.

...Of course with good drugs, he'll think he's feeling better than he is, no telling what he'll get himself into next ;)

Hey Brent! Did you know you can make a parachute out of a bedsheet? It's true. I read about it on the Intarwebs. I'll bet you'd be a natural at it! :D

Heal quickly, you madman. :p

Glad it wasn't serious Brent, if it had been in the shop you might have lost a hand or a finger, so why not apply the same caution policy when riding a bike?

The answer is easy, we feel too confident and that's what causes accidents both in the shop and outside:(

On the other hand I remember when I used to ride my mountaing bike that if I fell off, the first thing I would look for was if the bike was OK, later I'd look at myself. The most serious incident I had with my bike was a broken rib, and that is a really impairing injury, you can't laugh, walk/move fast, raise your arms, turn your body or whatever.:(

Well, going to try and get a days worth of work in. It'll be tough between the pain pills making me groggy and the fact that to use the mouse, I have to move my right hand over with my left. once there I can work it fine...

Feeling a bit better, Hopefully be moving relatively well in a couple of days!

Vaughn, as far as the bed sheets go, I thought I could use some bamboo plan stackes and visqueen to make a hang glider. Sure looks like fun when they do it next door!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Am i the only one to find this funny. Hey we all have done these crazy things. Its only the new generation that are going to grow up only having experienced these things from the comfort of their airconditioned couch.:D

I bet you could hold a poll among our family members here and i would put money on it that more of us than not have had some form of this type of accident both as youngsters, teenagers and adults (or grown kids:D) .

You will recover. But you had fun in the making of this injury.;):thumb:

I dont think you are a moron at all.

Nope, not a moron like Rob said. BUT, you have had your first experience with being older than a teenager!:eek: I used to break horses to ride/drive, and shod a lot of horses, but boy oh boy, I think the ground has gotten harder and the pull of gravity is stronger today than it was twenty years ago!!:huh::huh: I remember back in the '70's when the first mopeds came out (the ones with pedals) a biker dude took one for a spin to show off at my dad's gas station, he dumped it on the highway in front of the station! :rofl: Those things were wicked, the front wheel would catch on a pebble during a turn, pedals would hit the pavement, they would do many weird things to dislodge their rider/driver. :huh: