Thread: Granite tile countertops

Granite tile countertops

Well I'm at a point in my kitchen remodel that I need one of the tops before I can install some of the cabinets that sit on the top. Was going to go with laminate but decided to do the tops out of granite tile. Has anyone here attempted something like this or have tops like this?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I didn't put em in but we have then in our Kitchen. What can I help you with.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well Don I'm looking to do this myself and was wondering if there was anyhting I need to be aware of. I'm going to do a 3/8" bevel edge. How have yours held up. Any special maintanence I should know about?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Alan,
    They
    ve been in for 3 years and have held up real well. LOML seals them every year. Other then that we love them.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well this will be an experience. I just ordered a new tool today to do it. Will post it in new tools when it comes in. I've watched the granite guys on my jobsites and I hope I retained something for when I attempt mine.

I like them with a small grout line less than 1/8" using non-sanded grout.

Make sure they are sealed before grouting to prevent staining. Typically I select a grout and then go one or two shades darker.

Use your preferred method for the substrate. DON'T do mastic directly to plywood.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I'm going to use 3/4" plywood with 1/4" hardibacker screwed to it. Then I will use thinset if I'm not mistaken. Will have to double check on that.