A small dip into a considerable stash of Walnut offcuts

Chas Jones

________Sometimes telephone cold calls can prove to be a pleasant surprise.
________" Hello, my name is ******, is it right that you do wood turning?"
________cautious 'that's correct.'
________"are Walnut offcuts any use to you for turning?"
________'Certainly.'
________Generous local donor could not bring themselves to burn them when they turned up in the firewood.
________Several large sacks and boxes later, collected with alacrity and a few days drooling and cogitating a start has been made.

________
________Walnut and Cherry 78x135mm

Congrats on the surprise wood gift.
I really like the segmented turnings.
But, even more enjoyable is the lesson in English usage. I fear, this side of the pond, we are oversimplifying, or even 'dumbing down' our word usage. It embarrasses me, but I'll admit, I had to go to the dictionary for alacrity.
....."collected with alacrity"...... Beautiful. I accept this lesson in educated English with alacrity. Thank you.

Nice work as always Chas, and a nice get on the Walnut too! :thumb:

I certainly enjoy learning new words, I'd not say you are verbose, as that often has a negative cogitation, but it is nice to hear or read words that we don't commonly use in everyday speech:D

Hard to beat cherry and walnut as a combination. Nice-looking work, Chas, and congrats on the wood acquisition.

Stu, perhaps the word you're looking for is logophile. ;) Chas may not be one himself, but his vocabulary appeals to the logophiles among us. :D

Glad the English language is still of interest to you folks:p :rofl:, it's not unusual for us oldies to drag up the odd word now and again as a means of keeping the word count down.

I'm afraid a high percentage of our younger generation have gone the other way and choose to use Txt Speech rather than learn the language.

I'm always aware that words have different connotations your side of the pond, nine years working with USAF and a Texan (note not American) daughter in law have provided some colourful examples.

Dictionary: Being lazy I just highlight the word and Google search in XP.

On the turning front, I'm particularly please with these little items as I've finally managed to get my act together on the component part closeness of fit (angles) to get the glue line down to a minimum and found a glue type (casamite) that does no creep like the PVA I was using.

Sorry if that's a little Verbose :)

On the turning front, I'm particularly please with these little items as I've finally managed to get my act together on the component part closeness of fit (angles) to get the glue line down to a minimum and found a glue type (casamite) that does no creep like the PVA I was using.

Nice segment work there Chas, i was wondering about the glue lines in these pieces. You make it all seem so easy. :)

i was wondering about the glue lines in these pieces. You make it all seem so easy. :)
Having been involved with precision engineering with an abundance of appropriate machine tools available, I find it very frustrating trying to make a few bits of wood conform with my limited workshop facilities. Me thinks a visit to my machine tool suppliers is in the offing to come up with a few home brue aids without having to re-finance the property.