Thread: Bone Chair

Bone Chair

I get this call from NY and ask if I repair bone chairs. I talk with the person trying to determan if the chair is bone or a Faux paint job and at this point the person has no clue. Well they bring the chair down and I see's it and I become like a kid, I love this stuff ! Bone [ivory chair] needless to say I jump at the chance to repair it. I have the materials and will finish this one up this week. It has had one repair before as seen in the lighter color tone on the rest [back]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0039.JPG   CIMG0040.JPG   CIMG0042.JPG   CIMG0043.JPG   CIMG0044.JPG  

I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

So thats wood right? How was the damage done Dave did they say. That looks like something was glued to the face edge
    cheers

Dave, I am ignorant on this type of chair. Have never heard of it or seen one before this picture you posted. You stated, ivory, so I assume seeing the picture that it isn't solid ivory. Is it ivory laminated onto a wooden skeletal structure? If so, then I assume the repair to the structure is pretty straight forward, but then how do you repair the ivory? Yup, find this interesting.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Never heard about them either, but it looks to me as if it was bone strips laminated on top of a wooden frame.
    If it is true ivory that chair must be worth thousands.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I've seen pictures of them but never seen one up close. You guys back east get all the good stuff.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I started my repair, laid in the right material and I decided to go with System Three 2 part epoxy it has the right yellowing to match and can be sanded and buffed. I laid the epoxy on a little heavy so not to get any low spots. I hate low spots. The in-lay part was simple, just cut and tweek to fit the material
    The chair is Ivory strips about 1/2" in width and 2-4" in length approx. 1/8th" thick. Yes the chair is worth big bucks. How much I have no idea but considering Ivory sells for 250 an ounce and the artisans work it would be a LOT ! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0060.JPG   CIMG0061.JPG  
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com