The Pitfalls of a Fancy-Schmancy Car

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2001 Lexus RX300. Great vehicle. I love driving it. Got it for a good price back in '04 and it's been very reliable. I also like all the bells and whistles it has...until something goes wrong.

For the past couple of months, I've been hearing a loud intermittent buzzing/groaning sound coming from under the dash on the passenger side. Larry and the Tour boys can attest to it. :eek: Some days I wouldn't hear it at all, and other days it would happen every few minutes. And it would often buzz for a little bit about 30 seconds after I turned the car off. I figured it was some type of problem with the climate control system, but everything was still heating and cooling as expected, so I put off getting it repaired until Wednesday. This is the first repair I've needed since my warranty expired, but even though I know a good local shop for engine work, and another for tires/suspensions, for electrical issues, especially under the dash, I've had better luck taking vehicles to the dealer. So away to the Lexus dealer it went. They also gave it the umpteen-point checkup to see if there were any other problems. (I also told them about the front passenger door lock actuator not working, and a burned-out upper rear brake light, and asked for quotes on those repairs, too.)

Turns out the groaning was from a pair of worn-out solenoids on the climate control system. Before I went to the dealer I was guessing it'd be about $1000, and I was right... $932 or thereabouts. I also had them fix the brake light, knowing full well I was paying WAY too much money for it at $68 or so, but also knowing that I hate to remove and replace interior door panels. I've already been into the inside of my tailgate once before, and based on that experience, it was worth $65 to me to have them install a $3.00 bulb. The door lock actuator was quoted at over $500, so I took a pass on that. I may see what my engine shop guy would charge me for that, since he also does electrical work.

The shop also found that one of my rear shocks is leaking and needs a new dust boot. (I'll be taking it to my tire/suspension guy tomorrow to replace the pair...maybe all four.) Any guesses what price the dealer quoted me to fix ONE shock?

$200.00 :dunno: Knowing dealerships I will not be surprised if I'm way off.

I have a friend that works at a Mercedes dealership. About 5 years ago he talked me into a fantastic deal on a used ML320. I used it for business and was given a car allowance by my company. It was the worst piece of junk I ever owned. Of the 6 months I owned it it was in the shop about 5 weeks for different problems. The only consolation was that when I traded it in for the Hummer (H3) I got $10,000 more on the trade than what I paid for it.

Well Vaughn you and me in the same camp as car issues go. Dont know what that shock will set you back but you want to try buying tires in Canada. I have to replace 4 tires on my Jeep Commander. I have worked out it would be worth my while to drive to Buffalo and have it done and i could buy a few tools at woodcraft there and still come out ahead gas included.

There are times i feel like i live on an island not part of the North American mainland and definitely not part of NAFTA when it comes to tools and tires:rofl::rofl:

What do they say ...cars are like boats ...a huge money pit.:D

Average the total coast of ownership over the period you have driven the car and it isn't quite so painful ;-) Think happy thoughts.

I gotta go with Larry's answer $325. Most dealerships have a minimum quota they try to get per car that comes in, our local one trys to get about $750 per car. Everyone I know that has taken something there has come in around that between the you've got a bad shock, need new brakes, need a new belt. I had them tell me that I was needing new brakes once, and I had just changed them myself the weekend before. :dunno::)

I gotta go with Larry's answer $325. Most dealerships have a minimum quota they try to get per car that comes in, our local one trys to get about $750 per car. Everyone I know that has taken something there has come in around that between the you've got a bad shock, need new brakes, need a new belt. I had them tell me that I was needing new brakes once, and I had just changed them myself the weekend before. :dunno::)

At our local dealer, when the service manager comes into the waiting room with his 'list' of other things that need repair (always about $400.00) I just wave him away, I won't even talk. A friend of mine, who was the best mechanic they had, quite because he wouldn't participate in the rip-offs.

My son, a devoted 'greenie' drives a 2005 Prius. Good car. He is going to get something newer soon. (another hybrid or an all-electric). He wants us to buy it for what the dealer will give him so his Mom can drive it. I'm fine with that but wonder about refurbishing/replacing the batteries and replacing the starter. That starter kicks in many-many thousands of times a year and I'm sure will give out one of these days. Before we do this deal, I'm going to call a Toyota dealer and ask what those two items will cost. I have a feeling I really don't want to know. :eek:

Some years back while used car shopping Linda fell in live with a Lincoln. Good deal, so we bought it. In the next 7 years we put the purchase price into the car in repairs. The air bag suspension, I remember, was the biggest shock. Around $1,500 per axle.:eek::eek:

I know you have a back injury, so I'll not suggest a bicycle and trailer :D:wave:

Stu, I have lower back issues (bulging disk that has caused sciatica before) and I ride a bike all the time. My physio said it was fine as long as I rode a hybrid/MTB style which has a more upright sitting posture than the bent over road bike style.

And of course there are always recumbent bikes...:thumb:

Another reason a metal shop is going to be built within a couple of years on my farm. Want to eventually have a CNC plasma running as well as a hoist and a work bay. Metal walls, concrete floor, so my welders and forges can be used safely as well as be able to leave a vehicle in so all repairs aren't rushed and need to be completed in a weekend.

I'm fine with that but wonder about refurbishing/replacing the batteries and replacing the starter. That starter kicks in many-many thousands of times a year and I'm sure will give out one of these days.

The motor on the Prius is far more advanced than that of a traditional automobile, and significantly more durable. Because they use solid-state circuitry instead of brushes, they're able to eliminate several major areas of wear and very efficiently modulate the power. They're a lot closer to the motor in your computer's hard drive, which can spin continuously at thousands of RPM for years and years.

The batteries are a bit of a bugger, though - $5,000. The use of lithium iron phosphate cells - which are, in theory, good for about ten years of heavy use - could make the need for replacement moot, but these cells are fairly expensive and not yet produced in quantity.

IMO, the future is cellulose-based ethanol. You can run your car - even a high-compression 60s mustang that normally needs loopy fuel additives - on sawdust! Ain't 115 octane great? :D

Incidentally, Lexus has some of the highest repair costs of any vehicle on the market, though I suspect this may be related to the infrequency with which they require them. If you're looking for something that's cheap to fix, try a Subaru - sure, the fuel economy sucks, and yes, they're hideously ugly, but any car built by a tractor company is going to be pretty durable in the long term. :D

Last edited:
The key word there is cellulose. Using only the kernel from the plant of corn is only touching the tip of the iceberg with a telescopic pole. When they finally get to utilizing the plant itself, stalk and leaves, the amount generated is substantially more. Then if we get away from thinking about corn, go to other fast growing grass plants, the opportunities become endless.

Sorry, Joseph, I am not an ethanol fan. It costs more to make than it gives. Destructive on many parts of an engine. Some of my small engine tools won't even run if ethanol gas is used. I avoid whenever possible. A future, practical, source of energy maybe. But it isn't there yet, despite what singers and movie actors say.

Sorry again Joseph. My wife has a 2008 Subaru Forrester. It gets over 30 mpg. its pretty good looking, and the local Subaru dealer wants $ 50.00 to just change the oil. :eek:

I agree with Frank on ethanol.
If I could I'd power my car by Nuke:rofl:

ya know, Ive never been invovled in auto parts, sales, etc.....but you guys crack me up for sure.
this is not directed at anyone, but just generally speaking here.
I think auto mechanics charge alot also, but I pay because I dont have the talent to fix it myself or lack the confidence to do the right job.
I also think its ridiculous that someone glues together 6 pieces of scrap maple and walnut and think its now worth 65 dollars as a cutting board because it took 30 minutes to plane and glue, and then rub some mineral oil on it, and afterall, its handmade.Feh.
Everyone likes to earn a living. Everyone wants to be paid what they consider fair wage for their trade or talent.
This group complaining about mechanics overcharging, for me, is kinda strange since there are people here who think a wooden pen is worth 100 dollars or more.

Allen - speaking only for myself - I was not complaining about the amount of money mechanics get (they are trained pros and deserve appropriate compensation), I was noting, as I think others were, that some brands of autos cost considerably more to repair than others. For instance, I can put 6 new shocks and 4 new tires on my Dodge Ram for the same amount it cost to put just two airbags in the Lincoln. I think that's where the conversation was headed.

I used to do all of my own repairs. I even rebuilt and few engines. I would even think about doing it today. The complexedy of today cars and trucks is mind bogleing. It take special tools and special diagnostic tools as well as special training. Heck I won't even change the oil due to the trouble with disposing of it. I do keep my eye on what they are doing. When I first got my Silverado I took it to jiffy lube for it second oil change. The guy doing it tried to tell me I needed a new air cleaner. I laughed and told him to look at the odometer. It read a little over 3000 miles. A far a dealers repairs go. Each and every thing is covered by what they call a flat rate. There are established times to do any type of repair based on what the average time should be to do it. If the mechanic is slow, the dealer looses money, if he is fast they make more money. you can take you car to any dealer and they will charge you the same as any other dealer.