Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop in Time Warp

Saw Stop in Time Warp

If you have never seen "Time Warp," it's a show all about super-duper slow motion cameras capturing things we take for granted and never see as they really are. One of the guys actually uses his finger to trip the safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    IOne of the guys actually uses his finger to trip the safety.
    That "guy" is Steve Gass, the owner/inventor of SawStop

Cool video for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

is the saw any good after the blade gets stop with a tail hook [ YES I know that tail hook are for stopping airplanes but I do not know a better name for the saw ]

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ray,
    I've heard that you can resharpen the blade but I would be afraid of the carbide tips coming off.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I'd just buy a new blade
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

while a new blade will cost a bundle , I think that the motor will go out too unless it got a special switch to cut the power to the motor

i have had the brake engage for me.

no it wasn't my finger, but the tip of my miter gauge.

There is no damage to the saw, all you need to do is remove the blade and engaged brake, insert a new brake and blade and start sawing again.

I kept the blade hung up in my shop for a 1 1/2 and finally decided to remove the blade from the brake.

I lost a couple teeth so I took it to a shop to have new carbide tips installed.

There are only about 4 or 5 tips that contact the brake. The rest of the blade is undamaged as is the Zero Clearance Insert.

I haven't used the repaired blade yet, but I will.
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 06-04-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Do they check the blade for warpage or runout? Just wondering. In the video it did seem the blade flexed quite a bit.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Great Video thanks for posting Darren. I have watched that show but miss it often. Glad to see they did the saw stop on it.

What good marketing for the guys.

Who cares if you loose a blade and cartridge, the price of a hand injury could be way more costly in many more ways than money.

I would still like to see more variety in the test demonstrations. I would really like to see how this saw cuts wet wood like what we get from HD in the construction lumber section or pressure treated when its damp from the processing plants.

I know it has a switch to bypass the brake but what happens if one does not. How likely is the brake to false trigger.
    cheers

I'd think they would want to add a tester, moisture probe, or perhaps an embedded LED to warn of a possible trigger due to moisture so one would remember to turn on/off the by-pass. Perhaps even a warning light to show the by-pass is turned on.

Maybe they do...I'm just rambling and too lazy to research it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault