Thread: Soft Maple, I hate it- Rant

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Soft Maple, I hate it- Rant

OK so I need some maple for a small project, It was a table leg I was redoing. I bought the piece because it was the right size. It looked the same as the hard maple I had used on the rest of the piece. Well I cut and shaped it, fitted and glued it. Every thing looked good so after preparing it I put on the BLO. Well, I hate it. The wood turned brown in color and does not match the rest of the piece. I'm gonna have to re-work the piece. I hate soft maple. Hey, I got a piece of soft maple bought 6 feet long, 6.5" wide and it 8/4 if anyone want it...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    OK so I need some maple for a small project, It was a table leg I was redoing. I bought the piece because it was the right size. It looked the same as the hard maple I had used on the rest of the piece. Well I cut and shaped it, fitted and glued it. Every thing looked good so after preparing it I put on the BLO. Well, I hate it. The wood turned brown in color and does not match the rest of the piece. I'm gonna have to re-work the piece. I hate soft maple. Hey, I got a piece of soft maple bought 6 feet long, 6.5" wide and it 8/4 if anyone want it...
    Sounds like ya got the start to an Organ build there Don ya should join us.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

This isn't me speaking.....it is my insulting alter ego......
    Uh....test first?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Soft maple is a good wood - I've used it for a variety of things. If it doesn't finish the way you like, consider using it for a painted project, or as the substrate for veneer. If I was closer to you, I'd take you up on your offer.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've got some "dunno" maple also... and I'm pretty sure it is soft maple -- it dents and dings if you look at it funny. Oh well, at the price I paid it was a steal, so I can always use it for backs and drawer cases.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood