Soft Maple, I hate it- Rant

Don Baer

Staff member
OK so I need some maple for a small project, It was a table leg I was redoing. I bought the piece because it was the right size. It looked the same as the hard maple I had used on the rest of the piece. Well I cut and shaped it, fitted and glued it. Every thing looked good so after preparing it I put on the BLO. Well, I hate it. The wood turned brown in color and does not match the rest of the piece. I'm gonna have to re-work the piece. I hate soft maple. Hey, I got a piece of soft maple bought 6 feet long, 6.5" wide and it 8/4 if anyone want it...:(

OK so I need some maple for a small project, It was a table leg I was redoing. I bought the piece because it was the right size. It looked the same as the hard maple I had used on the rest of the piece. Well I cut and shaped it, fitted and glued it. Every thing looked good so after preparing it I put on the BLO. Well, I hate it. The wood turned brown in color and does not match the rest of the piece. I'm gonna have to re-work the piece. I hate soft maple. Hey, I got a piece of soft maple bought 6 feet long, 6.5" wide and it 8/4 if anyone want it...:(

Sounds like ya got the start to an Organ build there Don ya should join us. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Soft maple is a good wood - I've used it for a variety of things. If it doesn't finish the way you like, consider using it for a painted project, or as the substrate for veneer. If I was closer to you, I'd take you up on your offer.

Mike

I've got some "dunno" maple also... and I'm pretty sure it is soft maple -- it dents and dings if you look at it funny. Oh well, at the price I paid it was a steal, so I can always use it for backs and drawer cases.