Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todays Auction haul

Todays Auction haul

Went to auction today, about forgot about it. Might be a good thing I didn't.

Stanley 42 box, papers and set. Sticker still on handle.

Stanley #5, sole rough, real rough. 2 braces, bottom one is broken. Old syringe, just for giggles.

Paid and to the truck for 21.50 all total.

Might have a old router and saw coming yet. Had to leave, buddy was staying, so I gave him my high amounts for both.

Smile

Re: Plane
    I bought one at a flea market to replace the #5 I dropped and cracked the frame, cleaned it up, sharpened blade so it would shave. It worked so well, I pulled the blades on the other four. I was about to give up on using my Stanleys until I concentrated on sharpening and aligning them. It so sweeeet watching those extremely thin curls come through into visibility! I have made almost toothpicks from scrap just to have the experience of using hundred year old planes! They even make a melodious sound!
    Jim Evatt

Is the brace with the larger chuck a North Brothers? The chuck on my Stanley brace was always a little irritating to use. I got a North Brothers to try it out and never picked up the Stanley again. It's a great tool.
    paulh

Paul not sure on the brand of the brace. Sorry. I just seem to have a knack of finding old tools.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Re: Old braces.....at the local "Restore" from Habitat for Humanity, that I go to, I see old braces all the time. Are they worth something? If so, what should I look for?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Can't help you with that question. Sure somebody here knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    Re: Old braces.....at the local "Restore" from Habitat for Humanity, that I go to, I see old braces all the time. Are they worth something? If so, what should I look for?
    There are collectors out there, and some braces are pretty pricey. The bits - or more correctly, sets of bits - are collected, too, and they can get pricey as well. I have a few of those, too, in addition to the few planes.

Interestingly, Cynthia, both of the ReStore's that I go to often have braces for sale - usually for just a dollar or two. I see them there more often than at flea markets and yard sales.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Cynthia, I can give you some more specifics about braces. Some are worth quite a bit, others not. If you find one stamped "Bell System" it was bought by the phone company back when it was "THE" phone company. These are generally well made, and of fine quality. Problem is that they were used by linemen etc., and so you have to make sure condition is good. Simply being stamped Bell system doesn't make it more valuable to collectors though, which is good.

Look at the wood - often Bell system braces had some kind of composite/hard rubber components. This is fine, if you like it. Better braces had cocobolo or rosewood, these can be very nice.

The best brace I know of is the Yankee 2101 or 2101A. If you hold one and feel its ratchet mechanism, you'll see why. These can often go for $35-65. But they can also be found for a few bucks. If you find one for say $10 in good condition, grab it.

Then there's the sweep. It refers to the diameter of the circle you make as you bore. Smaller diameter is faster, with less torque. I have 6", 8", 10" and 12" sweeps, and covet a 14". But I am a tool pig, as anyone who knows me already is aware.

Look at the way the top is attached. Is there a ball bearing, or is it simply wood on the metal shaft? Are there oil ports?

Not so simple after all. And we haven't even touched on the bits that go in the braces. Best of luck in your slide down the slope of toolaholism.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails braces.jpg   box o bits.jpg  

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Ken, do you use these antique braces in your woodworking or do you just collect them as part of your tooloholism?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Short answer: I use 'em. A lot.