First Attempt At Casting .............

Les Elm

Some Sierra Canadian Shredded Currency pen blanks using Resin Saver mold rather than pouring a slab and having to use a pressure pot.
Had some difficulties which I will post in another thread.

Les

f0adzt.jpg

29az4ti.jpg

2eectio.jpg

2vi2xzn.jpg

Looks like they turned out nice. I really want to try casting. Is a pressure pot really necessary if you don't cast worthless wood or do stabilizing.

That would depend on what type of casting you want to do.
If you want to cast large slabs then you would be advised to use a pressure pot to minimize any air bubbles.

If you want to cast small blanks using a Resin Save type mold then you wouldn't need a pressure pot. Just move any air bubbles that might form out of the mold using a tooth pick.

Les

That came out looking nice, Les. I'm interested to read about the difficulties you mentioned. The resin saver mold looks like the ticket for molding this type of blanks.

I was going to make some shredded money blanks for myself, but the wife got upset when she saw me putting $10 bills into the shredder. :D

I guess I'm very curious as to how you would be able to mix up the resin with shredded money without getting bubbles. Seems very difficult to me?:huh:

I guess I'm very curious as to how you would be able to mix up the resin with shredded money without getting bubbles. Seems very difficult to me?:huh:

I have found that if you mix the accelerator in the resin slowly but throughly and then pour slowly into a warm mold, there will be very few bubbles formed which are very easy to remove.

Les